Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: crystal brush voting
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:06 pm 

So much stuff on there that makes me want to cry. I'll have to go through later and have a good look at all of the. But Alice is insane! I love it!

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:12 pm 

Ok, I voted.... I was pretty harsh! 10 grand is on the line... no need to be generous with all the entries! :mrgreen: I only gave out four 10s, and probably like seven or eight 9's the rest were not much higher then a 6 or a 7 most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:42 pm 

Think you might be right about the top three Kyle

My CMoN Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 pm 

Yeah, just going through now. Have given out maybe 4 or 5 tens, but some of those tens were because I can't give 9.5. Then there are other models in there that look pretty rough. Drybrush marks on the edge of bases and things like that.

EDIT: I'm always worried when I can't see more than one photo for the model. And there are a few with items like guns that look like they are still undercoated, no paint!

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:01 pm 

Turelio wrote:
...I'm always worried when I can't see more than one photo for the model. And there are a few with items like guns that look like they are still undercoated, no paint!

Yes. There are some that are not finished, I gave them some harsh numbers. There is some gems in that comp though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm 

These are just my impressions from the photographs, some very nice stuff in there but my picks are:
Dark Corner of the Earth- good, some really nice touches.
Steam Dreams of Wonderland- insanely good, Seb’s I assume.
Tinkerbell- nice colours on this one
Kalypso- also very good.
Navy Seal and Luke Sky Walker are very nice in the 54 mm category
Your right Kyle that “Any Problem?” is very nice and has to be a contender.

And let me guess…Jmpn’s is

Gea "The Beginning"- cant see that not winning. One of the best compostions/ miniature painting and just overall works of art I have seen. The diorama category itself is very strong.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:28 pm 

I'll be honest, I'm not keen on that Tinkerbelle. The colour scheme is interesting, but the skin looks like it has fake tan on it, and there are areas where it appears to be flat colour, or not highlighted smoothly. Other than that, the one's you've mentioned were probably the same that stood out for me.

Gea is incredible. It looks like the number of categories will mean that while there is a lot of competition for Best in Show, there are going to be people that will be intimidated by one model, but won't be up against it in their category, so could still do rather well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:33 pm 

I dont know if anyone can see this album (because it may have privacy settings on FB) but its the concept sketches of JMPN's 'Gea'
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3445278977020.2167385.1422005391&type=3

Also I think some entries really need larger pics as their initial picture. Because I overlooked a few because of the small picture, but when looked up close they were really good. Like the 'Kalypso' entry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:39 pm 

That album seems to let you in as long as you are logged into Facebook. That's pretty interesting to see the ideas forming, and what the alternatives are.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:46 pm 

Turelio wrote:
I'll be honest, I'm not keen on that Tinkerbelle. The colour scheme is interesting, but the skin looks like it has fake tan on it, and there are areas where it appears to be flat colour, or not highlighted smoothly.

I think you are right, just like the colour scheme. The metallics stick out as being a bit flat.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:05 pm 

Jamie, you've certainly mentioned most of the other contenders. With Dark Corner of the Earth I wasn't totally convinced by the lantern although the patterning and tentacles are very very good. And with Luke I was a bit unsure of the side/back of the boots but that could be a photo thing I suspect.

That said I also have a bit of an issue with the nameplate on (Seb's?) Wonderland piece. I find the name plate to be a bit bright and distracting, something faded and worn with a few clockwork gears would have worked far better I think although I suspect there may have been time constraints. I don't actually think much of the name plate on the "Any Problem" entry either, but I don't find it as intrusive.

My CMoN Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:37 pm 

I've started voting, and something I have been finding really frustrating is all the silly names. Now it might be me getting all amby pamby, but if it's a competition with actual monetary prizes, I just get really, really annoyed when I see names like "macragges badasses" in a big deal comp.

Annnnd that's my pet peeve for the night.

Dances are an important ingredient in painting for GD.

I'll accept that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 pm 

Ha! I actually voted one point higher on 'Macragges Badasses' because of the silly name! :P But in all seriousnes. I am pretty sure the public and CMON know what the contenders are, and so most minis will be overlooked for the far superior few entered. So why not have fun with the name! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:26 pm 

One think I would have liked was a note about the size of the figure
I assume the squad of Macedonian Pettasts are small sclae, but I'm guessing 15 mil not 6 mil

My CMoN Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:22 am 

Also, if you havent voted yet. Show your Aussie spirit and vote for Sebastian!!!

http://crystalbrush.coolminiornot.com/cbartwork/index/id/172