Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:17 am 

Categories and Entering
Note: Any entry may be moved to a more appropriate category at the judge’s discretion. Categories may include sci-fi, fantasy or historical entries. Entrants may enter up to two entries per category.

If an entrant has two entries in a category, the judges will pick the best entry out of the two for placing considerations. This is to avoid the same person willing multiple placings in a category.

1. Single Miniature
Single miniatures that fit on a base size no bigger than 40mm square or round.
Single miniatures must be roughly the size of a 30mm humanoid or smaller.
Single miniatures may be mounted as long as they fit within the base size restrictions.
Total height of miniature and base or plinth must be no taller than 100mm.

2. Large Model
This category is open to single large models that are not war machines.
Models must be larger than a standard 30mm tall humanoid and may be mounted.
Total height of miniature and base or plinth must be no taller than 180mm.

3. Unit, Squad, Group or Regiment
This category consists of a collection of 5-15 single models that form a cohesive group.
This category also includes smaller scale units (such as 20mm historical), in which case it should consist of 5-15 stands.
Units can be a mix of single and large models as appropriate.

4. Vehicle, Squadron, War machine, or Chariot Unit
This category is for any single large vehicles including:
- tanks and vehicles
- non-humanoid vehicle squadrons
- large fantasy war machines
- non-humanoid fantasy war machines
Appropriate crew must be included.
Squadrons and units must number at least three models or stands.
This category also includes 20mm scale squadrons.
Entries must be based accordingly.

5. Open
This category is for any entry that does not meet the requirements for any of the other entries.
Please restrict entries to miniatures and models. Dioramas and terrain pieces will go into this category.
Please limit entries to fit within an area of 20cm x 20cm x 20cm.

Display Cabinet
This year, the painting competition display area will be by the Aetherworks stall, where you can also register (see below).

Registration and Schedule
The registration and schedule is as follows:
- Entries may be registered before the MOAB weekend via the MOAB website. Please contact Andrew ( andrew@aetherworks.com.au or “numbat” on OzPainters) to arrange transportation of your entry to the venue if you cannot personally attend.
- Entries may be registered on site at the Aetherworks stall any time on Saturday and Sunday at MOAB.
- Entries are to be held for general display, photography and judging after registration at the painting competition table.
- Winning figures will be announced on Monday.
- Awards ceremony and prize draw to be held on Monday at 3pm.
- If you are unable to make the awards ceremony, prizes can be collected via the Aetherworks stall.
- Unless prior arrangement are made with competition staff, all entries must be collected on Monday by 4pm.

Cost
The cost of entry is $5 per entry, up to a maximum $20 (you can enter as much as you want, past the cost of the initial 4 entries).

Free Entry for Players Registered with a Tournament

This year, we will allow one free entry to any category for anyone registered with a tournament.

- Entries still must be registered as per the above procedure, with the cost of entry waived for one entry.
- Proof of tournament registration is required.
- The entry does not have to be from the army or system you are using in the tournament.
- A full list of tournaments can be found on the MOAB website.

We will award a prize (Best Tournament Player Painting Entry) especially for models entered this way to encourage and acknowledge tournament players to enter the competition.

Under 15s
There will be a trophy awarded to the best entry painted by an entrant aged 15 or under. Proof of age may be required. The trophy will only be awarded if we receive sufficient (more than 5) entries.

Manufacturer Specific Awards
There may be additional manufacturer specific awards for best Malifaux, Infinity, Flames of War entries into the competition, pending sufficient entries (more than 5) of figures by this manufacturer.

Judging
Trophies and certificates will be awarded to first, second and third place entries in each of the above categories.

Some Hints from the Judges
We thought it would be helpful to let you know some of the things the judge(s) look out for while judging that could potentially make your entry a winner.

Neatness is a key to a winning mini. Before you worry about detailed shading and highlighting, a neat presentation always stands out. Check for paint strokes that have wandered onto another area.

Glue your models together, use pins if it needs it. You may think judges want to see the underside of that miniature sitting on a throne, but if it falls on the ground when we pick up the mini neither you or the judge will be happy. Judges always pick up models to look at them from every direction, ensure your models stay in one piece.

Remove mold lines and drill out barrels. That time spent preparing really shows in the finished model. It can be a decider between two entries vying for a winning place - one has mold lines marring a fine paint job will be edged out.

A nice base goes a long way - although there are restrictions on base sizes, this does not mean you cannot be creative.

Doing something that helps show off the miniature and put it in context will make it stand out and catch the judges' eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 am 

I'll mail something up Andrew.
Can you PM me your address?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 pm 

Thanks for supporting us Pete!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:31 pm 

No worries - just returning the favour :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:13 pm 

If there's anything we can do, let me know (Might be a bit late for this year, but I can pop a few things up on the FB and website?)
Cheers,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:52 pm 

Sure thing Gronk - the more people know about it, the better!

MOAB is really shifting focus to have a lot more displays and demos on the main floor this year, so hopefully this will allow the painting competition to get some more limelight.

I left this one a little late myself as I've been flat out with a few other guys here to get some 2" x 2" demo boards done up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:13 pm 

I might come up... I'll bring my workshop Nurgle lord... its about the only thing I'll have to bring if I do end up coming...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:46 pm 

I'll get some entries to Peter to send up with his stuff. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm 

I just heard from one of my friends from Uni that he is going to try to send some stuff as well! Woohoo! Long distance entries!

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 pm 

How did this go? Did the entries Peter posted up make it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:49 pm 

There were a good number of entries in most categories. I know that the entries from Victoria made it to the event. I'm not sure of the names of all the winners etc, but I don't think the announcement will take too long. Yesterday was a long day after the event, so I don't think the photos will have been edited up just yet.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 pm 

Cool! Can't wait to see the pics!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:50 pm 

http://robjedi.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/moab-2012.html

I've got general pics from the weekend up on my blog. Will have to wait for pics from the painting comp, I didn't get any pics unfortunately. Though I did score 2nd in vehicle with an old model :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:01 pm 

Thanks for posting Rob, some brilliant looking tables there, particularly love the Space Hulk table, very impressive. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:30 pm 

Thanx rob 8)