Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Golden Demon 2013 dead?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:14 pm 

Hey, I am unsure if you have been following the rumours floating around about Games Days. But on Volomir's Blog he has almost confirmed that GD Spain 2013 has been cancelled, Raffa has been speaking to GW store managers who have confirmed it is not going ahead in 2013. Julien Casses has said that the French GD is all but cancelled also for 2013. A German painter, Tuffskull, said that the place where the German GD was held last year in Colonge has been cancelled also, but that may be because the GD is being moved, or it might also be cancelled.

http://volomir.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/rumours-gd-spain-to-be-cancelled.html

So........

What does this mean for Australia?

Naturally I went to Facebook, to try and find out an answer... and guess what.... the 'Games Day Australia' Facebook page does not exist anymore.... Could it be a way of minimizing the damage through negative comments through social media? Preemptively deleting the page?

So it doesn't look good for Games Day Australia 2013 either.... Could this be an end of an era? Or perhaps we will go back to the old format?

I really hope it is all just rumours.... and the Games Day will still go ahead for 2013!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 pm 

Also Games Day North America is going ahead in 2013. It has moved from Chicago to Memphis, where the head office and factory of GW NA now resides.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=24600001a

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:21 pm 

Well, might it be that the European GD's are getting consolidated onto the GDUK only? The lack of marketing for GDOZ is strange as there was some mention of gd2012 by this time last year. I hope that games day stays, it's a good format and I felt there was more people attending last year then the previous one. I don't know if the old format would be as interesting as the full on event.

The removal of the GDOZ Facebook doesn't bode well for the future of GDOZ though does it :/ ... Oh well we'll just have to wait and see what GW decides to do in Australia this year with games day. I have heard GW staff talk about golden demon and entering, but just not in what format it's going to be run with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 pm 

Oh and to hopefully not feed the rumor trolling I dont want to stop work on my entries. No official GW statement means that as far as I'm concerned work will progress on my minis and the event is happening.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 am 

How odd to cancel GD France and Spain. On the whole, I thought their entries were way better than the US GD. I suppose it came down to profitability, but that's sad. But then, the painting competition probably takes a backseat to everything else anyway. I wonder if Italy will go on?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 am 

It does seem like an odd move. Maybe they are just consolidating the EU games days into one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:19 am 

I obviously want Games Day, or at least Golden Demon to go ahead this year.

But this time last year, we had a confirmed date and venue for the GD, aswell as (correct me if I am wrong) a revised list of rules and categories, for 2012.

This year we dont have any of this, or even the Games Day Australia FB page. I am not saying that the GD is cancelled but... it is just odd that there is ZERO info and it would be about 6 -7 months away....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 am 

I was 'told' by a vey good GW source last night that games day Oz is cancelled...:-(

Hoping that golden demon or a national painting competition will go ahead in its place

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 pm 

yeah... I'm concerned that the demons will not run this year. I would rather GW make a statement and say 'yes' or 'no' rather then stand silent about it. I would be very dissapointed if it just went away with not so much as a statement made by GW.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:35 pm 

Now if this is true that just sucks as I just started my first entry this week and bought all new paints yesterday. just my luck. I had a look of an old post of mine and the rules and regs went up on the 20 April last year if that means anything.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:04 pm 

Well I can confirm that Gamesday Oz is booked in for the same venue on September 8th. I can also confirm that a contract to stage the event has not been signed as of yet. The event coordinator for ATP dealing with Gamesday is currently away

This of course does not confirm one way or another as to whether the event is taking place or not. Amazing what you can find out if you just pick up the phone and ring. Lucky I'm old school eh!

Hopefully see you all there fingers crossed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:09 pm 

Thanks Amytornis. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:15 pm 

I heard that a bunch of the main GW facebook pages (Including Games Workshop) were closed in part due to the Spots the Space Marine controversy, but also so they could channel news through White Dwarf and stores. Closing the GD page could have been related to that.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 pm 

I hope it still goes ahead i have some good ideas for my first entry this year
and i offten wait to buy up new gw stuff at the event what am i going to do with all this cash i have saved for the past 6 months.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 pm 

I was talking to a store manager today and they said that Golden Demon and Games Day have been canceled this year due to complications with the venue; 2014 will still go ahead.

Dances are an important ingredient in painting for GD.

I'll accept that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next