Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 pm 

Man so many mixed messages....

They really need to say something about it to sooth the pain. Not that Im expecting anything, but it would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 am 

I think GW staff are kept in the dark until the last minute im sure armies on parade will be going on.
but someone should come forward an shed light on what will happen for this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:59 am 

The thread over on wargamerau seems focused on finding an alternative..

The place that jumps out to me as being the obvious challenger to golden demon would be good games..

They have the regional stores across most of Oz, they dont play favourites with miniature brands, they have the exposure to wider communities & from what ive seen, they tend to be happy to work with enthusiastic hobbyists to make things happen..

Just putting the idea out there

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:57 am 

The fact is that there is no other national painting comp. All the small local ones are basically the local guys getting their minis together and entering, its not as much fun. Alternatives are nice, but I would need a fairly big comp and painter support base for me to be really interested in spending my time and money to enter in an alternative painting competition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 am 

What do you regard as a big support base?

Without people like you and Kyle supporting the little events they don't grow beyond little events. We have a Catch 22. Great painters (with notable exceptions like Jamie) won't deign to enter against opposition they don't deem worthy, and that will ensure the contests can't attract the worthy competition. How much expense is required to enter MOAB after all?

I understand that you guys put in an exceptional amount of time on each entry, but currently you seem to be running out of forums to compete in and you seem more interested in running down the smaller comps than supporting them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 am 

I am not running down any smaller events. But like Mark pointed out on WargamerAU, unless an event holds some sort of presence or prestige, I cant personally commit funds to it. Like everyone I have limited money, hobby time, and free time to attend events and want to make sure what I go to is an event worth putting my efforts into.

I also do not believe in postal entries. I attend an event, to like I am sure Mark pointed out in one of his posts somewhere. I attend the event to catch up with other painters, talk miniatures and crap, and discuss the competition and see all the entries. That is an event! Sending off a miniature somewhere and then finding out online a couple of weeks later if it has won, is not my idea of fun. If I wanted to do that I would just enter online comps, to me there doesnt seem to be much difference.

Another thing, is that I believe that smaller comps serve a particular purpose. We already see the same names (myself being guilty of it) winning at Golden Demon over and over again. I would want smaller comps to be able to show off the talent of people who may not be of the top level yet. For example 'Splinter', he seems to have flourished after the confidence of winning best in show at the Golden Barry, I can see he will only go from strength to strength now, but would that be the case if he was thrown in the deep end of a high end comp?

I fully supported Auscon, hell, I did a lot of the back end work when it came to drafting up the rules and categories. And spent many an hour infronnt of the computer talking to the organisers to try and make it the best competition it could be. It is a shame for what ever reason that it didnt work out... I hope it is back, and if it is anything like last time, then it will hopefully be a good event.

Personally I think there needs to be a fully open to all miniatures and people to enter, national event. It needs to be attached to an event, like people have said PAX, or Supernova or some sort of thing that nerds, other then miniature gamers/painters will attend, to have more exposure. The event does not need flashy trophies or anything, as long as the quality of the entries is good and people seem to be having fun. It is achievable. I just think it needs to be well thought out, and organised properly. I am happy to help with organisation and will put my hand up to judge, if something comes about.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 am 

I agree with Kyle here.

I don't really enter to win events and 'worthy competition' is not my motivator. I usually use the motivator of a win as a push me and to get myself to produce my best work and I enjoy sharing my knowledge so new painters can improve again upon the learned collective of techniques we have acquired.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I would like to support every event that I could, its hard to do as my time is precious and work commitments disallow me the privilege to do so. Leaving me with time to enter only one comp each year, which is going to be the larger more atmospheric one like Golden Demon. I'm not running down all the smaller events, but they don't have the supporting elements to make the time and cost worth it for me, just like some people can't do golden demon because of the same reasons.

Which is why I think that the lack of response from GW about the GD event is annoying me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:18 am 

I agree with what Kyle and Mark have said here.
There is one major factor/problem with organising an event here in Oz, and that is location...
The fact that a lot of people have to get planes and get rooms for a night etc. makes attending anything quite expensive (by the time I had got plane tix, event ticket, room and food for last years GD, I think it had come to around the $500 mark), so unless an event has the P&P then it is going to be difficult to entice people to them..
It is really unfortunate, and I, would love to support all the events that people go out of their way to organise, but it is not always possible.
Maybe a 'crystal brush' type event would get everyone attending???
I bet if we all put our heads together we could come up with a way of offering some really exciting 'rewards' for winners????

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 am 

The Wizards of Oz was a truly national competition. especially given the first prize offered. It remains to be seen whether it will ever run again.

I take on board what you say about postal entries. They are second best. It is like entering GD through Regional heats and relying on being told how you went by others.

Wizards of Oz didn't run last year and it remains to be seen what will run in the future. Golden Demons future seems even less assured and the replacement comp will likely be a postal affair.

Where does that leave you guys with no replacement contest? Without your support there will be no event for painters like Splinter who want to go to GD. I am not arguing that a scattergun approach should be taken supporting every minor comp that exists in the hope one proves worthy, but unless you guys support even one comp by painting something, attending and giving it a go we'll be left with posts filled with (to quote one GW staffer) internet tears.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 am 

Hi guys, so sad to here that it's been (or seems to be) called off. After a 2 year hiatus I decided to come back and enter this year, planned, converted and was to start the painting.
However, if it's comps you want, then why not try your hand at the one I was doing the last couple of years, Gundam Builders World Cup http://gundamaustralia.com/forum/index. ... pic=3608.0
Its different I know, but it's massive and so under skilled in australia, I'm not joking, anyone with a little skill and can use an airbrush can win this, I've done it twice! First prize is a holiday, last year Japan and u enter the "best off" from the other winners. The Australian comp is held at Smash(comic con thing in Sydney) but its the overseas one that is what u want to see. All I can say is you guys should have a look into it.
Mark Carlisle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm 

I totally agree and sympthis with what has been said here, and I think Mark (agent_venom) worded it pretty much perfectly- A lot of us have limited time, so we save that up for the big comp in Australia.

The problem is, there no longer IS a big comp in Australia.

If we follow this train of thought to it's logical conclusion, then it will result very few people entering comps this year. However any one of the smaller comps has the potential to be the next 'big' one, and all that is necessary is support. This won't happen overnight and I think postal entries are necessary for the comp to reach the critical mass necessary for people to justify interstate visits. However this is a necessary evil, and despite all the great ideas being thrown around, I cannot foresee a new, national competition being created overnight. Added to this is the fact that without the support of the big-name painters in Australia, no small comp will grow into the event we want it to be.

tl;dr- big name painters should support smaller comps, because the alternative is a serious contraction of the painting scene in Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:48 pm 

I would want smaller comps to be able to show off the talent of people who may not be of the top level yet. For example 'Splinter', he seems to have flourished after the confidence of winning best in show at the Golden Barry, I can see he will only go from strength to strength now, but would that be the case if he was thrown in the deep end of a high end comp?

Thanks Kyle. I am a bit chuffed that you noticed. I also placed silver for single mini and bronze in large catagories. As for GD, a Big boys painting comp, I made the finals in vehicle catagory back in 2010 :D . I know my painting style has changed in last 12 months for the better but thats alot to do with feedback I got from Peter, Tony, Bevan and Maria (ROL) from last years OZ painters open. I made the decision last year that I was going to do GD 2013 with both barrels, to see how I would go against all the 'Big Boy' painters. I am more than likely driving Peter and Sam Benson mad with pics and wanting their thoughts. I guess that will have to wait and so will that shelf for that demon :lol: As for the small comps this year, I have learnt heaps and met some awesome painters with great feedback and tips. I can understand both yourself and Mark's comments but I agree with Bevan that we need some top shelf painters to enter these comps to see if the little guys can become bigger.
Well, now there is no GD it's onto OZpainters open, MOAB entries and may even have a crack at that Gundam comp. Really guys, there is more than enough of you out there to come up with some sort of national comp. I know it's not going to happen next week but I think you could come up with something. And if you do there will be Mat G AKA (Splinter) entries in every Catagory :D.

Just my thoughts guy's.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm 

Seems we finally have official word that France GD is cancelled

http://www.juliencasses.com/2013/03/gd- ... ses.com%29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:49 pm 

well to say it is unprecedented would be not quite true (thinking Belgian or Polish GD here, can't remember exactly which...) but it IS unprecedented that they cancel multiple events worldwide. It seems very, very odd that they would do that. I would LOVE to know the real reason - not being a conspiracy theorist here, just saying that the reasons given so far have been pissweak.

Even a bad story can be given a positive spin with a little open communication and honesty. So far all they've said is that 2014 is going to be bigger and better blah blah blah. How? Any concrete details? What specific things are they going to do that make it bigger/better etc otherwise it just sounds like an election promise :roll:

Such a shame too - I always look forward to seeing the French GD... :(

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/wereweevil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:10 pm 

I doubt that anyone in the greater community will ever know why they really have decided to not run the events this year or why they don't put out a release saying what is going on.

Oh well. I guess I'll wait and see what ends up happening just like everyone else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next