Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:55 pm 

Fellow painters (or at least those in Melbourne)!

Games Workshop have recently announced a painting competition coming up at the end of October (I do believe it's acting as a substitute for Golden Demon being cancelled).

Information:
We invite you to enter this state-wide Games Workshop Painting Competition.
Entry is Free!

Heats:
Saturday 26th of October
At your local Victorian Games Workshop Hobby Centre

Finals:
Saturday 9th of November
At the Games Workshop: Melbourne Hobby Centre

Whether you are novice painter or a veteran of Golden Demon we encourage everyone to enter. The judges will be looking for well-painted and well-presented models. Paint schemes should demonstrate originality, imagination and consistency with the spirit of the game worlds.
Any Citadel miniature is welcome and the categories for entry are below:

The 2013 Victorian Painting Masters Categories are:

Category 1
Single Miniature
Any single miniature from the Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy or The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Strategy Battle Game universes. All models should be mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base. This category includes models supplied with a 40mm base or smaller. Note that this DOES include single miniatures mounted on bike/cavalry bases (25mm x 50mm).

Category 2
Large Model
This category is open to large single from the Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy or The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Strategy Battle Game universes. All models (where appropriate) should be mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base, larger than 40mm diameter/square. Although many of these models tend not to be supplied with a base, it is quite acceptable for you to mount the vehicle on a modest base (no more than 20mm larger than the model itself).

Category 3
Squad / Regiment / Warband
This category is for any unit comprising of more than one miniature. All units must be 'legal' in game terms. Judges will be looking for units that best exemplify the qualities and character of the army they represent. In particular, we will be looking at leaders, standard bearers and musicians where appropriate. This category DOES include squadrons of bike-mounted models and cavalry models. Larger vehicle models such as tanks and large monsters should be entered into Category 2. All models should be mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base.

Category 4
The Open Competition
As always, the Open competition is your opportunity to let your imagination run riot. Anything goes! Your entry could be a single model, a sweeping diorama or whatever takes your fancy. Please note that we will not accept artefacts into this category. Victorian Painting Masters is a miniature painting competition and we would like your entries to reflect that. Entries should be no larger than 60cm by 60cm. We are looking for well-painted and brilliantly executed models that really capture the essence of our fictional worlds, but also the spirit of what fantasy and science fiction modelling can be at its best.

Category 5
The Young Bloods Competition
The Young Bloods painting competition is open to any competitors aged 17 years or under. Your entry should consist of any single miniature from the Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Fantasy or The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Strategy Battle Game universes. mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base. All models should be mounted on an appropriately sized gaming base. This category includes models supplied with a 40mm base or smaller. Note that this DOES include single miniatures mounted on bike/cavalry bases (25mm x 50mm), but other larger models and units should be entered in another category.

Competitors' Guidelines and Conditions
You can only enter once in each category, and all entries to Painting Masters must be Citadel models, Forge World models or conversions based thereon.
We welcome conversions based upon our Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 game worlds in all appropriate categories, but these should be consistent with the atmosphere of the game worlds and spirit of the miniatures ranges that we produce. Furthermore, please do not use any real-world references or references to other non-Games Workshop fictional worlds in your entries. At this time, due to the nature of our license, we cannot accept scratch built models based upon The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey Strategy Battle Game intellectual property. Conversions made exclusively from our The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey Strategy Battle Game range are acceptable. Overall, the judges will be looking for well-painted models that adhere to the imagery and ethos of the worlds represented in our fictional settings of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000. All single miniatures must be mounted on the appropriate gaming bases. Read the category descriptions carefully - it is your responsibility to enter a miniature in the correct category. When models are being booked in, it is impossible for us to check that every single entry has been entered correctly. Whilst judging, we may spot such anomalies but we will not be able to correct these. Models entered incorrectly will be marked down or excluded accordingly as we see fit. We reserve the right to refuse entry to the competition.
All entries must be personally handed in by their creator and registered at the appropriate Games Workshop hobby store prior to the first heats. We will not accept any entries on behalf of competitors who are not in attendance at the event. All models should be the work of a single hobbyist. All work on models entered into the Victorian Painting Masters - including but not limited to painting, modelling, converting, after-market sculpting, and basing - must be performed entirely by the entrant. Neither models obtained from someone else in any state of completion nor collaborative efforts may be entered. Anyone found violating this rule will be immediately disqualified and forbidden from entering future painting competitions.
All competitors will be fully responsible for the transport of their own entries to and from the competition, and for storing their own transport and packing materials on the day. Please don't ask us to look after carrying cases and giant cardboard boxes.
Once entries are booked in we will, of course, undertake to look after them as carefully as we can. However, we can accept no responsibility for loss or damage to individual entries. Models are entered into the competition at the competitor's own risk. Entry to any of the competitions gives Games Workshop the right to photograph and publish the details of models entered as we see fit.
Finally, remember the point of the competition is to showcase the efforts of our hobbyists and to have some fun. You may not agree with the final outcome, but please bear in mind that the judges' decisions are final and absolute. We will not enter into any correspondence regarding them.

I hope everyone can make it! I've already got a few entries started.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:48 am 

Thanks for posting the details. I'll try and get something done even though I don't paint GW much anymore. Hopefully a strong showing might give them the message people are still keen to see a GD.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:19 am 

That's the spirit! Let's remind them that we're still an active (and talented :P ) painting community!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:12 am 

I'll be entering something.
I will try and paint something fresh but I have a mini that hasn't been entered in anything yet that I could use!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:24 pm 

I'll have an entry or two nothing major just got get my head around doing bases useing gaming base

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:55 pm 

I'm not going to say I'll do an entry, cause that'll jinx me.

However, I do have a question re. gaming base. For GD the models were required to be on the appropriate size gaming base, however could be built up etc. Does Vic Masters have the same regulations?

Also, plinths. These were permissible for GD, as long as the model could be removed. What's the go here? I have a model that is rather top heavy & to keep it upright I have magnetized it to a plinth.

Not that I'm saying I'm going to enter ;)

~ Maria

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:37 am 

I'd say go for it. If you aren't sure maybe give Al a ring at Camberwell?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:14 am 

I messaged Allan at Camberwell re ruling on plinths & bases.

Apparently we can go with the GD regulations on both. So, as long as the model is on its gaming base, you can build up from there. & plinths can be used, but the model has to be removable.

~ Maria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:16 pm 

Just found out about the GW masters today. Is it ok to submit entries that I had in Oz painters open? As I have no newly painted models except for a new Ork Trukk. Everything I'm working on is partially completed .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 pm 

Can't see why not. You can re-enter stuff in Games Day.