Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:37 pm 

So...

We are aware, or some are, that Meg Maples is going to be at CanCon this year and I thought that I would be a good opportunity for anyone that is able to make it to enter the CanCon 2014 Painting Comp.

I have made plans to be there and enter at least one of my pieces, hopefully two... but my illusions of grandeur may be my undoing there on the 2 entries front. I would like to think that Nick and Andrew would be able to enter something as well as they will be there with Aetherworks... yes?

Maybe Jamie as well? If he is attending for the Warmahordes comps? I just think it would be good to show off some Aussie painting skills and have a good showing... Also there used to be a freaking awesome Korean restaurant about 5 mins drive from the venue if people like that sort of thing... I know I do! I can check out the local places and maybe we can have a meal, catch up and talk about life, painting and whatever else.

Check it here +++[ http://www.cgs.asn.au/cancon/painting-competition/ ]+++

So... anyone interested in anything like that? Painting comp + food + whatever else?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:31 pm 

I'm in for the mop. I will have *something* in, not certain what I will get time for yet though. I have at least two entries planned though.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:00 am 

I am still working on a coupleof entries and plan on bringing a few just to showcase and see how they go.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:46 pm 

While I remember, I'm keen for some food at some point as well and having a mini meetup.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:08 pm 

Yes Nick I think that if we can it would be good to do a mini catch up in the capital.

Dickson has a lot of good asian restaurants and used to be the 'china town' of Canbarra when I lived down there, its got a few places there that were always good. Also down towards civic there is a Korean place I used to go to that served good food as well.

Lots of places near the venue.... Or within driving distance, Ill probably have spare seats in my vehicle for those without transport.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:29 am 

Sounds good. I'll try to enter some stuff! Turelio - Dickson was where we got the awesome Duck Laksa last Cancon.

Maybe we could have a mini-Golden Camel dinner over that weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 pm 

Well, if we know the Laksa is an option, I'll happily starve myself all day to make room :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 pm 

Yup, I plan on entering a couple of things into the competition assuming I'm allowed. We need to up the game at CanCon and get the Australian painting scene in gear again! Seems to have died down a little bit over the last few years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:36 am 

Yes... I need to find some last minute motivation to finish my entry... So hot to paint.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 am 

Main entry- miniature painted now I just have to finish the base......

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:34 am 

We need more people showing up so we can bring the competition level up next year. Jamie said it was between me and Mark and between the three of us we did pretty well cleaning up in the competition.

It was much better this year than it was last year (from all reports). I hope to see more of the OzPainters there next year and really upping the competition and inspiring other painters at CanCon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 am 

Oh... I'll bring it, I dislike losing :mrgreen: no. in all honesty the best part of the comp was seeing all the entries entered, the Flower Knight and darksword minis in the flesh and Jamie's mammoth horde of entries. Hopefully next year they have a more stable cabinet. Next year I plan on hitting all the smaller comps. Littlewars, Barry's, MOAB etc... Seeing the other painters is what the comp is all about, getting feedback from painters and the ribbing i get from Jamie is always good times... cough... 2010 deamonette OPEN GOLD!!! haha

Although Ill need to pick a more 'recognised' mini to appease the judges next time for haha!