Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:20 pm 

Hey all you OzPainters!!

Numbat, Turelio and I have been knocking about the idea of running some monthly workshops again at Hall of Heroes. Instead of just a bring and paint environment, I though it would be good to run workshops for people to build up skills and share some works and words on painting, basing and miniature hobby in general.

Hall of Heroes has been receptive to our group and idea. I just thought I'd post it up here for expression of interest. I think that the painting community has been very bust working away at their private projects I thought it would be good to run some workshops again and use the forum and facebook to run up progress and keep each other motivated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:02 pm 

Like I said to Nick and Andrew last time I saw them. I love the idea of scheduled get togethers and would love to come along... but myself living in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.... its just to far of a journey for me. A shame we couldnt do it in the city somewhere! I know Hall of Heroes has supported the meet ups in the past and Matt is a good guy... so I understand the situation, and I hope the meet ups go well.

PS, I am pretty sure we can all agree the Australian miniature painting community is starting to drop in interest since there seems to be no more Golden Demons or Wizards of Oz competitions in any of the foreseeable future. So, I think these workshops seem to be the way to go to keep up the interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 am 

Yeah I know its a hike for some, myself included as I'm coming from the Shellharbour area. If we can get an alternate location to run ancillary workshops then I think that should be looked at also. But for the immediate future this is good. It is kind of an effort for everyone to get together for hobby these days and Hall of Heores has the best facilities.

Thakns Kyle, We need to get a City meet happening as well just to catch up with other painters. Even if its a bring along BBQ sort of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:56 am 

So how long of a drive/train ride is too long? I ask only because I regularly travel 45 minutes one way to get to Marike's house where several of us painters get together in the Seattle area. It's fun because we all get to see each other, develop better friendships, promote the hobby and invite new people along from time to time. It's a good way to breed camaraderie in an otherwise small community.

The only way people will continue to learn from one another is going out of your way to schedule and run and participate in events. I keep hearing from so many people since I've been here that paint nights just don't happen because of peoples' schedules. This is a really lame excuse. We have the same issues in the US but you still schedule the paint night and if people show they show. If they don't they don't. But at least people are given the option and eventually people will come.

If it's a 45 minute train ride we are talking about that is a perfectly reasonable distance to travel to see other people in your hobby and to promote the painting and modeling scene in Oz. It's how you will recruit new people to the ranks as well and bolster the very small painting community in this country.

Y'all need to make time for events like Mark wants to run and support him and learn from him. He's a great painter with lots of great ideas. He's a fantastic natural born teacher as well. He can explain things very well. I learned a lot talking with him this last weekend and he managed to learn something from me (even though I think he's a better painter than I).

We all have something to teach one another; if not a technique then a way to view the art that is miniature painting. We need to make time for each other and support the hobby lest it die out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:15 am 

Well said to everyone count me in for meet ups to learn more woo hoo to that. If you want a place closer to town we can use my place for BBQ and good painting times :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:36 am 

That's a great sentiment, Fieldarchy. It's plenty different, though, when you have a baby, and you cannot drive because of arthritis. For me, anything over 30 mins in the car is a big risk - my baby will go into meltdown pretty quickly after that. And he is very vocal in expressing his displeasure.

And, unfortunately, it's an hour from my place to Hall of Heroes.

That's why I prefer entire weekends - I can take the family, while I get high on paint fumes, they can go to the beach or a long hike.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:38 am 

We can also do workshops at the Aetherworks warehouse, once they move into their large premises in St. Peters. And to be fair, I think any workshops should rotate around the game stores in Sydney where there is a painting community - Tin Soldier Penrith, Games Cube Parramatta, Good Games CBD spring to mind.

Kyle, shame there isn't anything closer to you! Maybe we need a Painting at Bondi day or something!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:53 am 

Yes that's a GREAT idea Andrew! I love it, that way we can get to all the corners of the City!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:05 pm 

I'm in. I'm not at uni anymore, and have been feeling guilty at my inactivity and lack of contribution to the Aust painting scene in the last 12 months. So yea whatever it is, provided I have enough time to get off work, I'll be there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:42 pm 

Hey, Kyle. I have a car. What if I come and pick you up and then head there? Or if you can get a bus/train to some neutral point, I can pick you up on the way?

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:36 am 

It's been a while but I'm interested in attending
Hall of heroes is a great venue and I think I need to make more of an effort to meet and talk with other painters as last visit I know i learnt a lot from you guys
If there is a price or donation for Event/meet ups I'm more then happy to chip in to help subsidise those that travel afar?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:50 am 

Remember that this is the first run for our meet-ups. We'll discuss painting the possibility for running workshops and locations for future meets.

Starts at 11am will go until there are no more painters about or the store closes.. I think ~5pm