Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:53 am 

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know about a new painting comp in Sydney. Its a new one, organised by a few guys that run a website/blog on 40k and GamesWorkshop stuff, called 40kwarzone It will be hosted at Games Workshop Sydney, (where the old Golden Demon was held for a few years) on April the 5th. It is independently run by the Warzone guys and is completely separate from of the shop.

Its only a small comp with 2 categories. But the guys have devised an interesting way to get people involved. Basically the more people who enter, the more prizes are worth, and more prizes can be handed out. As far as I know all the money (gift vouchers) that goes into entry fee, will then be handed back out as prizes of varying amounts depending on attendance. Another thing of note is that you are only able to win one award, this is to try and harbour a more friendly comp, encourage new comers, and prevent one or a few people from doing a 'clean sweep' of the awards. It is an interesting idea and I am keen to see how it goes.

I have put up my hand to judge the comp, along with a few other people who are familiar with judging GD before.

I would love to see some entries from some OzPainters guys!!!

You can see the event on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/293320374152717/

But I have pasted the info here for non FB users, or people who can access FB at this time:

Quote:
Welcome to the Warzone painting competition. On this page you will find all of the necessary information in order to enter the event. This event is purely based upon painting. Please ensure you follow the category guidelines when entering a model.

This competition will be running on the same day as the 40k Warzone Battle Brothers, however, it will be a completely separate event. This means that you will not be able to enter a model into the painting competition and then use it at the tournament.

Note: You do not have to have entered the tournament to take part in this event. As I said earlier, it is completely separate.

When: 5th April.

Where: Games Workshop Sydney CBD.

Cost: $10 GW Voucher per category (This means that if you wish to enter into both categories, you would need to enter with a $20 voucher).

Category: Single Model.
The single model category means you can enter ONE non-vehicle/monster model from any of the Games Workshop model ranges (Warhammer 40,000/Warhammer Fantasy/ The Hobbit/Lord Of The Rings).

Category: Squad/Unit/Warband.
In order to qualify for this category, you must enter gaming legal unit comprised of at least three models from any of the Games Workshop model ranges (Warhammer 40,000/Warhammer Fantasy/ The Hobbit/ Lord Of The Rings).

To qualify:
All models must be fully painted.
All models must be based appropriately. You may enter the model on a display base.
Judging:
Judging will be done on the day by guest judges, including professional painters and Golden Demon winners.

Awards:
Each category must have a minimum of five entrants to go ahead.
The prizes for each category will change depending on the number of entrants into that category. The winners will be awarded in $$ value of Games Workshop vouchers. This value will be calculated per category. For example, if the Single Model pool is larger than Squad/Unit/Warband, the award for that category will be larger. Furthermore, you may only win a single award, even if you have entered both categories.
If both categories fulfil their minimum criteria, there will be three awards across the competition:
Best in Show: Awarded to the highest quality model. This is the highest value prize and, as such, if you qualify for it, you will not be able to win any other awards.
Gold: In each category, the judges will award a Golden award to an entry who they deem to be of the highest standard.
Silver (12 entrant minimum for the category).
Bronze (16 entrant minimum for the category).
Players Choice (16 entrant minimum for the category). Voting done by the general public as to who they think is the best entry.

Schedule:
10am: Doors Open and entry sign-up begins.
12pm: Entries close.
12pm-4pm: Viewing (and voting) by general public and judging.
4:30pm: Closing of event and prize ceremony.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm 

Just a reminder that the painting comp is on this Saturday, the 5th of April. So rush to finish those entries if you are keen on entering!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:25 am 

I won't be attending this one. I completely forgot my sister and her husband are flying in on Sat morning :oops: .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:30 pm 

Hey guys. the Warzone painting comp is going to be an ongoing thing. There were some fine entires in the first one, but would love to see more for the second and subsequent ones!

The next one is on the 14th of June. I will be in the store during the day and am happy to show any painting techniques or answer questions.

Quote:
Hey all,

So the competition is back on again! The last one had a great turn out so hope to get some more people down to it.

https://www.facebook.com/events/621890037891927/

Welcome to the Warzone painting competition. On this page you will find all of the necessary information in order to enter the event. This event is purely based upon painting. Please ensure you follow the category guidelines when entering a model.

This competition will be running on the same day as the Warzone LOTR #3 tournament, however, it will be a completely separate event. This means that you do not have had entered into the tournament in order to enter into the painting comp.

Again, you do not have to have entered the tournament to take part in this event. As I said earlier, it is completely separate.

When: 14th of June.
Where: Games Workshop Sydney CBD.
Cost: $10 GW Voucher per category (This means that if you wish to enter into both categories, you would need to enter with a $20 voucher).

Category: Single Model.
The single model category means you can enter ONE non-vehicle/monster model from any of the Games Workshop model ranges (Warhammer 40,000/Warhammer Fantasy/ The Hobbit/Lord Of The Rings).

Category: Squad/Unit/Warband.
In order to qualify for this category, you must enter gaming legal unit comprised of at least three models from any of the Games Workshop model ranges (Warhammer 40,000/Warhammer Fantasy/ The Hobbit/ Lord Of The Rings).

To qualify:
All models must be fully painted.
All models must be based appropriately. You may enter the model on a display base.

Judging:
Judging will be done on the day by guest judges, including professional painters and Golden Demon winners.

Awards:

Each category must have a minimum of five entrants to go ahead.
The prizes for each category will change depending on the number of entrants into that category. The winners will be awarded in $$ value of Games Workshop vouchers made up of the entry pool. This value will be calculated per category. For example, if the Single Model pool is larger than Squad/Unit/Warband, the award for that category will be larger. Furthermore, you may only win a single award, even if you have entered both categories.

If both categories fulfil their minimum criteria, there will be three awards (as a minimum) across the competition:

Best in Show: Awarded to the highest quality model. This is the highest value prize and, as such, if you qualify for it, you will not be able to win any other awards.

Gold: In each category, the judges will award a Golden award to an entry who they deem to be of the highest standard.

Silver (12 entrant minimum for the category).
Bronze (16 entrant minimum for the category).
Players Choice (16 entrant minimum for the category). Voting done by the general public as to who they think is the best entry.

Schedule:
10am: Doors Open and entry sign-up begins.
1pm: Entries close.
1pm-5pm: Judging.
5:00pm: Closing of event and prize ceremony.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 am 

Thanks Kyle... I will be hoping to get to these! Man I got bummed that I couldn't make that last one... life has a way of getting in front of having fun sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:12 pm 

would love to see you enter Mark. and I think the way they have devised the comp, means even if you are crazy good, and would potentially sweep the field with entries, you are only restricted to one award. Which is a good way to encourage people to enter I think.

Oh by the way Congrats to Nick, who won gold in the Unit category with his Dwarf Cannon in the previous comp. Max Morrison, (who I think is a member here) took out Best in Show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:22 pm 

Any photos? It would be great to see some of the paint jobs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:11 pm 

I've entered this comp, unfortunately I won't be around on Saturday to see all the entries. Hoping for a good turn out! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:53 pm 

Hi mate. The comp was judged yesterday. quite a few nice entries. It was difficult to come up with a winner in the single in category. a few nice ones to choose from.

Forgive me I dont know the names, but the winners were:

Unit/Squad: Sisters of Battle Seraphim
Single Miniature: Dwarf Runelord
Best in Show: Ghazghul Thraka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:27 pm 

Hi fella,

I've been looking at the pics on FB and to be honest, I'm not really sure what scored it for the Runepriest in the single mini category?

Full disclosure: My entry was the Lord Executioner.

Alex.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 pm 

Hey kyle this might be a stupid question but when's the next one happening ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 pm 

Um unsure as of yet. but around about every couple of months or so.... so maybe July or August?

Councilof13:

Well, the way the Warzone guys and I discussed. No single person can win more then one prize. Its a little different to most comps, but it does mean more winners overall. as the 2 I have judged in now, would have both been a clean sweep by one person otherwise. So going down the line if we had to give out awards. The Ork Warboss was first. The Empire Knight was second and the Rune Priest was third. Myself and Adam (AdPaint) were pretty unanimous with out decisions. The Ork Warboss was the best miniature in the competition, followed pretty closely by the Empire Knight guy. We were actually pretty closely judging the Dwarf and the Green Jump Pack marine. But I think there are real points of brilliance of the Dwarf mini. The metallics, cape and fire were painted very nicely. Admittedly, the beard and skin are not as well painted. But I think overall it showed the most technical skill of the remaining entries. The Green Jumppack Marine, did have some nice parts, the armour, the red base. But I feel the face being the focal point of the mini needed much more attention. And the simple matter of the fact is that Finecast is not the best material to paint. I know this is a painting contest, not modelling contest, but you need to consider if a judge can see highlights, then they can see the Finecast faults, like wobbly weapons and pock marks on the surface. this goes the same with the Empire Knight, that suffered from Finecast Dramas also. Warped parts arent that terribly hard to fix I dont think.