Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Crystal Brush 2014
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:02 pm 

I am surprised there is not a topic here already!!!

The voting for the Crystal Bush 2014 has started. like usual, there are some super amazing entries and then some that are pretty standard. But all in all... seems like a increase of real nice entries this year.

http://crystalbrush.coolminiornot.com/

If you feel like helping out some OzPainters members with some votes, Adam and Sebastian are competing:

Sebastian's 'Bill Psyches' single figure
http://crystalbrush.coolminiornot.com/cbartwork/index/id/602

Adam's 'Twisted' diorama
http://crystalbrush.coolminiornot.com/cbartwork/index/id/520

If I had to pick the top 3. I would say.

3rd - 'Enchantress' diorama by JermieBT (I think?)
2nd - Sebastian's 'Bill Psyches'
1st - Ork Diorama 'Work Hard, Have Fun' by Emuse

But I do love that tall cavern diroama 'Bloodstone' is pretty amazing also, one of my faves... but I just dont think it will place in the top 3.

Post subject: Re: Crystal Brush 2014
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:53 am 

That was my top three picks the Ork diorama was awesome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:31 pm 

Yeah that cavern dio was awesome! I really liked that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:30 pm 

Surprised by Markie's winning piece... no doubt its amazingly painted.... I just expect more 'wow factor' from a competition like this one.

Ps, I kinda hope more people take part in the comp in the future. Its only been run 4 years and there are already the same people winning. the Top 3 this year, have placed in the top 3 in previous years. Not denying that they are good entries! I just would love to see more top class painters enter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm 

I think its like everything else it has moments. As well as, when you take into account that the comp is 50% popularity contest and 50% painting contest, its hard to keep painters super keen if they have to travel to the US for it and would have to drop AU$2-3000 on flights. As well as if painter's have no internet presence... added into that the strange basing rules that are not followed strictly... and if they are makes for some bland basing for single minis. Makes it hard for painters to commit.

Overall, I think that there are some great entries, I dont think that there was as many top level entries as previously but there was good painter's and they delivered some good pieces.

I plan to make a trip next year for it. We'll see how I go with work and all that but I hope to be able to enter a Dio and a few other little bits and pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:40 am 

I don't think they gave as many free airfare awards to overseas shows for this year. I could be wrong though.

Crystal Brush is kind of weird to me that there is not really much of any promotion or buzz on the part of CMON. They don't even promote their own contest on their own forum. It has big prizes, but they need to appeal more to the middle ability painter. I went last year, and, frankly, I think they could make the awards way smaller (I have one collecting dust) and use some of the saved money in the way of CMON figs or gift certificates or something and spread out the prizes a wee bit. There are sponsor awards, which is nice, but sometimes they don't have any entries and this year it seemed like they didn't publicize them enough in advance so people could get them done in time.

I wanted to go this year, but was too busy with two little ones to get anything done. Hopefully next year I'll make it again (and finish something to enter). I know I'll never finish top three, but hey, it's only a three hour drive. Not like you guys who would have to fly 24+ hours. And I hope Seb goes next year too to promote Twisted so I can get a good look at the minis. :D

Oz needs to have another painting comp so the winner can get a free trip to CB. :)

And last thought...I really don't like judging a mini from a pic. Especially when a lot of the time I was wishing the photographer had zoomed in more.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:04 pm 

Wendy wrote:
I don't think they gave as many free airfare awards to overseas shows for this year. I could be wrong though.

Oz needs to have another painting comp so the winner can get a free trip to CB. :)

If I can manage to relocate to Oz or NZ permanently, this will be a goal of mine. To get a big painting competition established for the Aussies and Kiwis. Y'all need more going on out there.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:56 pm 

At least Australia has some painting comps! NZ is a ghost town :(

I guess we just don't have the numbers to make anything work anyway. Maybe one day I'll come over to Oz for a holiday that coincides with a comp.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:35 am 

The thing NZ suffers from is that they don't really have any fantastic painters who are able to teach. I mean when I was in Oz I kept hearing from people that they were glad I came out and it seems to have reinvigorated the paint scene in Southern Oz. Which I am really happy to see! It's been a burst of activity.

In NZ it's mainly the hobby-the game side of things. There isn't a focus on painting. If I get the job with Weta that is something I will try to change out there in whatever measly spare time I have. And try to focus a lot on the painting scene in both Oz and NZ. I want to bring some of my North American Convention planning know how and the open format competition to your side of the world. I want it to be inclusive of all modelers too. Sci Fi, Historicals, Fantasy, model cars, trains, planes, etc. I want it to be a huge all inclusive event. One where we can plan on a decent cash prize too.

But so far this is all talk. I don't know when I'll be moving out there. I'm waiting to see if I get word from Weta. If that doesn't happen I'm applying to Grad School in Adelaide and Canberra. We shall see what happens. I want Oz and Nz to be bigger players though. I want to develop the hobby and I feel I have a good background to really help kick start things.