Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:16 am 

Hi Everyone!

Mark Soley (Agent Venom) and I have been working really hard to organize some painting events for everyone! We have heard the same thing again and again from Australian and New Zealand painters: since Games Day pulled out: they want not only a painting competition but other painting related events.

Well, we wanted to change that. We've done a massive overhaul on the CanCon Painting Competition, now renamed, The Crystal Dragon. It's an Open Format painting competition which helps foster a more cooperative painting community while still giving everyone a competition to look forward to. Open Format means that there is no limit to how many Golds, Silvers and Bronzes can be handed out. If the entry meets the standards of a certain level then it will be awarded. We are handing out elegant certificates with wax seals of the corresponding award color.

Then there will be a Judges' Choice award as well as a Best in Show award. These two will win Crystal Trophies and Cash Prizes as well as a few painting related goodies we've had donated. And we aren't forgetting the kids too! There will also be a Best Hatchlings Award which will also be a cash prize. The full rules are posted below. Please read the entire PDF before asking questions.

Crystal Dragon Painting Competition

Speed Painting is an event I'm bringing over from GenCon. It's the same format as I have experienced and helped to run at GenCon over the last 10 or so years. Bombshell Miniatures will be sponsoring the event and providing Prize Support. Each round is 45 minutes long and you will be supplied with miniature, brushes, paint, a single paper towel (use it wisely) and of course, some spectators and hecklers! This is a safe and fun event for people of all ages! Full rules are below!

Speed Paint Rules

The Painter's Lounge is a new addition. We will provide tables, chairs and powerboards where people can set up their painting stuff and paint in between classes or events they'd like to participate in. We heard from a lot of painters that there just isn't anywhere for them to sit and paint and socialize. We wanted to fix that. We are asking for a $2 coin each day from attendees to help us cover rental costs as well as support the Crystal Dragon Competition.

Painter's Lounge

Please let Mark and I know if there are any questions. We ask that if you are not affiliated with the events, please do not answer questions. Mark and I want to make sure that only the most accurate information is presented to the community.

Last edited by fieldarchy on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:08 pm 

fieldarchy wrote:
there really isn't anything to paint for.

:shock: are you serious, really???

For the last 6 years we've been running the OzPainters Open and you come out with this comment! We've done our best to promote not only our comp, but others as well and now I'm reading this, I can't believe it!
I'm going to stop now otherwise I'm going to say something I regret 'cos I'm totally pissed off right now!! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:42 pm 

Sorry mate, we didn't mean to offend anyone, although I see how it reads that way, when you work on a lot of documents at once things get lost in editing and translation. For that I apologise.

That comment is in regards to a non-postal entry event that encompasses a range of hobby events such as classes, a painters lounge and other events as a speed paint tournament and paint and take. It's more about developing a painting convention that offers more then what currently exists and selecting a venue and convention that allows growth and development with large scale attendance similar to what GD had. Personally I think that the OzPainters Open and the MOAB painting competition are excellent and have kept painting going in our respective states and for that I'm thankful. I will be at the MOAB painting comp again this year supporting painting and judging if asked to do so. Its just unfortunate for me that the OzPainters Open always falls on the largest sporting tournament weekend I attend each year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 pm 

Well I am more then happy to stand by that statement. I have painted maybe 2 miniatures since Games Day 2012. I have no motivation or any need to paint anything more than gaming standard these days. Nothing against the comps that run in the country, but I just liked a big prestigious comp to enter. If this new one going to be that, then I shall wait and see, Canberra is not the most desirable place to visit. But nonetheless, good luck Mark and Meg, hope it all goes well.

EDIT: Sorry if that is rude. I appreciate everything that people are doing for the painting scene here in Oz. even to the smallest thing like painting days. I guess now that I am time poor. I need to weigh up the options when it comes to painting and attending an event, and (again, sorry if it sounds offensive) but there is nothing in Australia at the moment that I would pick up the brushes for. Yes I was and still am a bit of a GW fanboi, so its sad to see GD die, and I detest postal entries, so what is there for me?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:09 am 

Kyle-you should come out even for the first year. We want to see as many people at CanCon as possible. It's a large convention and we are going to have more than just the comp running to give painters something to look forward to.

Last edited by fieldarchy on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 am 

The issue is that no-one wants to support the smaller comps. We - The Ozpainters Open - have a few interstate entries (and we even allow postal entries) but really not many. We really do appreciate the support from those that have chosen to send us stuff!
We started the comp in response to a feeling that a painting comp of worth for non GW stuff was wanted. 6 years on and we have had our share of problems with venues and whatnot but I think the comp is pretty darn good.
People just don't seem willing to go out of their way to help build a competition into what they want it to be though. Perhaps you will have more luck with Cancon :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am 

(removed post as what I wrote was made more of generic frustration, contributed nothing, and probably made things worse. If your that interested in what I said, pm me.)

Summary of previous post: I can understand why gonzoangel is upset, but the intent wasn't to talk badly of the existing comps.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:27 am 

I think that this has gotten a little off topic. This has turned into a discussion mainly about what was said and not the event.

This is really about promoting a new kind of event at a large wargaming convention. Numbers that have been quoted are attendance of around 5000 over the course of the weekend for CanCon. Like I mentioned it was to fill more of the gap between the time entering and placing, to help grow the community more and provide content for hobbiests and a place for everyone there and as such there are other planned activities. In my opinion the more painting events the better for the community and more people that get involved the better all the events will be. I for one am thankful for all the painting events that are run. Painters in Oz seem to like to hate on things (its a Oz cultural thing I guess), I know I have at times in the past as well before I was more then just a painter, now I just want to promote painting as a hobby and provide a new type of event.

It is unfortunate that unintended offence has occurred and for that I'm truly sorry. I am disappointed about the negative responses that were made as it's not constructive for anyone or any of the events we are all trying to provide. I hope we can all just move past this and provide events that are brilliant and grow the painting community!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:57 am 

Agreed. I apologise for my comments. I got carried away.

In all honesty, I'll be atteneding, entering, and I hope it's a great success.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:23 pm 

In an attempt to get things back on track: for the painters lounge, would you need any items such as spare lamps that others may be able to bring if they are headed that way?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:55 pm 

Yes, the painters lounge is only space and powerboards so people would need to bring their own lamps or if painters have spares they don't mind letting people borrow that works as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm 

I have two we use for meetups here, maybe more, so you are welcome to those for the event. Just remind me closer to the day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:01 am 

Thanks Nick!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:36 pm 

I have a question regarding the army category: is there a minimum/maximum size? I'm assuming that a unit style entry would go here (but may be at a disadvantage), but can't see if there is a specific model count you are aiming for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:51 pm 

A unit should be fine Nick, its game legal right ;P