Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: OzPainters Challenges
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:32 am 

These will be online contests run on the OzPainters forum, and open to any member who wants to share. Results and photos will be published on the forums.

This is the plan: Each month we have a contest based on a single topic, such as painting red, rusty metallics, freehand patterns on clothing, gemstones, or female faces. This also gives members something to work on and discuss during painting days. Anyone who wants to contribute and enter can join in. There aren’t going to be any prizes awarded, but you’ll get bragging rights, a place on the Winners List, and you’ll get to pick the next challenge topic. I’m going to suggest that whoever wins cannot be voted for in the topic they pick. However, they are free to enter the round, and as added bragging rights, their work will be noted in the voting poll.

The plan will be for these challenges to be started on the 20th of each month, and close on the 20th of the following month. There will then be a voting poll for approximately 3 weeks for people to vote on their favourite entry. Once finished, the winner will get announced, the topic selected, and the games begin anew. You might have noticed that technically, that means there is a three week downtime between the rounds ending and starting, so to fix this, they are going to leapfrog. I’ve got two pre-prepared themes already, and while the first challenge is being voted on, the second is being run. By the time the second challenge is complete, the topic for the third challenge is ready, and it flows from there. See?

So, with this in mind, I want to define how the challenges are laid out, and how the entries are submitted in the challenge thread.

CHALLENGES
These need to have a description of the challenge, any limits that might be included, and a link to some inspiration. Things to keep in mind for this:

* The more specific the challenge, the less people may be able to enter. So…
“Infinity model - Paint up a model from Corvus Belli’s Infinity range”
is going to be a lot more open than…
“Paint an Infinity model from the Yu-Jing faction, using NMM in place of any metals”
* Give something to get people thinking. This can be a link to a google image search, or a putty and paint tag if you like. You don’t have to do an hour of research, just something to get the ideas moving for others.

So as two examples:

Painting Red
Paint any model, but have a reasonably obvious area painted the colour red.
Inspiration: http://www.puttyandpaint.com/explore/colors/red

Painting Black
Paint any model, but have a reasonably obvious area painted the colour black.
Inspiration: http://www.puttyandpaint.com/explore/colors/black

ENTRIES
Entries should also be newly completed work, not previously completed models. I’m making this distinction so that people can use these challenges to finish those models they have had half started for a while. So entries should be posted as:

Image/s of the finished model.
Brief description of what colours and techniques you used.

Entrants should be open to discussing the techniques they used on the models, as well as discussing what was used on other models. But the level you discuss your techniques will be left at your discretion.

Example:

Painting Red:

Red gems painted with GW Blood Red, and GW Blazing orange used for highlights. I tried to use layering to get the colour transition.

Entrants should post their images in the challenge thread for the appropriate month. Steps for posting photos can be found at this location (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5172). Once over, a new thread will be started for voting, and new challenges can be started.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:48 am 

Nice! Now I can theme my work in the 6 month reduction challenge :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:56 pm 

So is the red the challenge, or is this just the prelude to the challenge?

I've always got time for red.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:15 pm 

The first challenge gets announced on the 20th, and I have two themes ready. Maybe the first challenge is red ;) or I might have other creative topics ready.

Certainly if the first challenge is red, it shouldn't be too hard to figure what the second challenge is (whistles and walks away)

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 pm 

Can I suggest something longer than a month? I people I assume will be painting other things... but some people are slow or busy and may need more than a month.... but I will try and be involved!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:05 pm 

Yeah I'll second Kyle on that one cause I paint slow and im busy most nights these days or am I just lazy :roll: maybe a basing challenge :D nick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 pm 

I'd like to keep them at one month at the moment. I'm not against what is being suggested, but potentially if these build up, other series of events could be run with other goals and longer times (I'm thinking here of things like "single mini", "unit" etc, like broad completion category style events).

Jay, I had thought about a basing theme. It's definitely on the cards. Of course, if you win and nominate it, then you beat me to it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:39 am 

I'm keen to get involved. It's nice to have goals!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 pm 

No worries nick 8) we will see what the first challenge is and go from that point so I can pick something From the pile :roll: