Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 pm 

Hi everyone!

We're waiting on the rules to be officially up for the painting comp on the MOAB website, but I'm putting them up here now to give everyone a bit of time. We are just waiting on some details to be finalised such as painting table availability, so some of the smaller details may be subject to change.

MOAB 2015 Painting Competition

Entering
The registration and schedule is as follows:
This contest will accept postal entries. Please contact Nick (nicholasfletcher@hotmail.com or “Turelio” on OzPainters) to arrange transportation of your entry to the venue if you cannot personally attend.
Entries may be registered on site at the painting demonstration table any time on Saturday at MOAB.
Entries are to be held for general display, photography and judging after registration at the painting competition area.
Winning figures will be announced on Sunday afternoon, approximately 2pm.
Unless prior arrangement are made with competition staff, all entries must be collected from 4pm Sunday, to 3pm Monday. Feedback will also be available on request at pickup, time pending.
Entries not picked up before 3pm Monday will be posted back at the entrant’s expense.
A ticket will be issued to all entrants when registering entries. Please retain these to claim your models afterwards.
Photos of entries will be posted online on OzPainters at a later date.

Cost
The cost of entry is $5 per entry, up to a maximum $20 (you can enter as much as you want,
past the cost of the initial 4 entries).

Free Entry for Players Registered with a Tournament
This year, we will allow one free entry to any category for anyone registered with a
tournament.

Entries still must be registered as per the above procedure, with the cost of entry waived for one entry.
Proof of tournament registration may be required.
The entry does not have to be from the army or system you are using in the tournament.
A full list of tournaments can be found on the MOAB website.
Please note that entries cannot be judged and returned in between tournament rounds.
Models required for use in tournaments should not be entered, as they may not be able to
be returned in time for games.
We will award a prize (Best Tournament Player Painting Entry) to an entry entered this way to
encourage tournament players to enter the competition. The trophy will only be awarded if we receive sufficient (more than 5) entries.

Categories
Any entry may be moved to a more appropriate category at the judge’s discretion.
Entrants may enter up to two entries per category.
If an entrant has two entries in a category, the judges will pick the best entry out of the two for placing considerations. This is to avoid the same person winning multiple placings in a category.
All judges decisions are final, and correspondence will not be entered into.
Judges may add further categories on the day if there are enough entries to warrant them (eg. Best of manufacturer)
You agree to allow for photography of your entries for display, promotional, and commercial use.
You agree to allow your name to be published alongside you work, and as an entrant to the competition.

Changes from last year
Please note that the cutoff time for judging and pickups have changed. Last year, we received feedback that if people were not going to be at the convention on the Monday, they did not want to enter their models. The earlier judging will hopefully allow more tournament players to enter, as there is an earlier pickup available. We have also made changes to the categories and awards presented.

There are four main categories this year:
Single miniature
Large Model
Group
Small Scale (15mm and under) Unit

Single Miniature
Single miniatures that fit on a base size no bigger than 40mm square or round.
If mounted directly on a display plinth, then the cross sectional area of the plinth must be no bigger than 40mm in any dimension
Single miniatures must be roughly the size of a 30mm humanoid or smaller.
Single miniatures may be mounted as long as they fit within the base size restrictions.
Total height of miniature and base or plinth must be no taller than 100mm, including plinth.

Large Model
This category is open to single large models.
Models must be larger than a standard 30mm tall humanoid and may be mounted.
Total height of miniature and base or plinth must be no taller than 200mm.
This category will also include vehicles and busts.

Group
This category consists of a collection of 3-5 single models that form a cohesive group.
This category will also include war machines with crew.
Units can be a mix of single and large models as appropriate.
Handling trays are allowed, provided that they are of an appropriate size, however only the models will be judging. Scenic elements of a handling tray will not influence the judging.
Also note that entries do not have to be ‘game legal’, just present as a cohesive looking group.

Small scale group
This category consists of a collection of 3-5 stands of models that form a cohesive group
Models entered in this category should be 15mm scale or smaller
This category will also include vehicle squads of the same scale, in which case 3-5 vehicles should be entered
Handling trays are preferred for this category, but not necessary.

Under 15s
There will be a trophy awarded to the best entry painted by an entrant aged 15 or under.
Proof of age may be required. The trophy will only be awarded if we receive sufficient (more
than 5) entries.

Display Cabinet
This year, the painting competition display area will be near the painting demonstration table (pending), where you can also register (see below).

Judging
Trophies will be awarded to first, second and third place entries in each of the above
categories.

Postal Entries
Postal entries are allowed if you are unable to make it to the event itself. This should be arranged prior to the event by contacting Nick as per the above details. In this situation, entries should preferably arrive the weekend before the competition at the latest so that is there is a delay in posting, they still have time to arrive.

Please note that the organisers of the competition will not take responsibility for any damage incurred by postal entries in shipping to or from the event. Models will be displayed and judged ‘as received’, and packaged and returned in as close as possible condition to that which they were received in. Cost of transporting the entry to and from the competition is the responsibility of the entrant.

Random Prize Draw
As a thank you to those who entered, this year we plan to gather a small prize package with an assortment of miniatures and hobby products. Anyone who did not place in at least one of the categories will go into the draw to win this, and a name will be selected at random at the end of the judging.

Paint and Take
If enough people are interested over the course of the weekend, paint and takes will be run. We may also award a best of Paint and Take award for people that would like to leave their models over the course of the weekend for judging.

Some Hints from the Judges
We thought it would be helpful to let you know some of the things the judge(s) look out for
while judging that could potentially make your entry a winner.

Neatness is a key to a winning mini. Before you worry about detailed shading and highlighting, a neat presentation always stands out. Check for paint strokes that have wandered onto another area.

Glue your models together, use pins if it needs it. You may think judges want to see the underside of that miniature sitting on a throne, but if it falls on the ground when we pick up the mini neither you or the judge will be happy. Judges always pick up models to look at them from every direction, ensure your models stay in one piece.

Remove mold lines and drill out barrels. That time spent preparing really shows in the finished model. It can be a decider between two entries vying for a winning place - one that has mold lines marring a fine paint job will be edged out.

A nice base goes a long way - although there are restrictions on base sizes, this does not mean you cannot be creative.
Doing something that helps show off the miniature and put it in context will make it stand out and catch the judges' eyes.

Edited: Spelling mistake. Changed "This is to avoid the same person willing multiple placings in a category." to "This is to avoid the same person winning multiple placings in a category." in the categories section

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 am 

Is there any more info about the painting comp at MOAB ,I'm having trouble finding info and feedback on the painting side of things ,like numbers ,time limits to get figures in ,registration or anything.
I will be going but want a bit more info.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:04 am 

What info do you need? It's hand in Saturday, judged and announced Sunday. We will be towards the back of the hall near the stage.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:22 am 

Thanks Turelio, is there any indication on numbers , participants . I sent you an email as well but when do I have to get my entries in by...I have a bit of a hike to get there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:47 am 

I don't seem to have got the email. Are you able to pm it to me? Right now I have no idea on numbers etc. Usually don't till the day, as there is no preregistration.

I know what you mean by a hike. I'm from port Macquarie originally. It's not a short trip, and I can see you're even further.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:23 am 

Ok, we are actually just to the right as you walk in, just before Knights of Dice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:10 pm 

MOAB is done and dusted , it was my first but definitely not my last journey down to this event. If you have never been I strongly suggest you should .Great atmosphere great bunch of people .
I would like to see more paint entrants and will do my darnedest to make that happen, if Turelio( very nice bloke)will let me help him accomplish this ....
I wish I could have met more of you brush lickers down there but was too engrossed picking up some awesome bargains up stairs in the buy a bargain section and scouting all the heavily discounted minis from all the stands that were there. I picked up so much stuff...I'm lucky I'm not divorced.
Thank you guys for a warm welcome . I will definitely be there next year and probably donate some cool stuff for prizes....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:47 pm 

Pitty we didn't have a meeting always good to meet a new oz painter 8) hope you did OK with your entry's I didn't place but large catigory was tuff this year well the whole comp was . Hope the wife didn't divorce you haaaaaaaaaaaa :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:54 pm 

Yes, your entries were great Terrafirma! I really liked the circular display base necromancer one, great lighting and scene!

Good turn out. Great to see it coming along. A big thank you to Nick for running it, great organisation!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:30 am 

Thanks Jay thanks Kyle ,it was good to meet you there Kyle I just wish I had more time to spend around the painters section and talk paint splatter.
I have some photos on my phone but don't know how to put them up .
Jay I got a first in large model and a second in single miniature.super stoked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:24 am 

Sorry Kyle I didn't meet you , I saw you but only met Jedi and Turelio...sorry. I think we should have all gone to the pub or something and have a good meet and greet . Talk about upping the profile of the figure painter .
I will be donating a full paint rack carry box and painters box for next years event.
More painters please.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:04 am 

Mate well deserved places very cool work :wink:
Give this a read it may help viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5172 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:56 pm 

Great work all. Congratulations to all the place getters and a bigger congratulations to anyone who just entered and gave it a go regardless (it was a pretty high standard this year)!.

Will try and get the full set of photos up very soon!