Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 pm 

This months challenge was selected by fieldarchy for winning Challenge 3. The challenge is to paint a model with African Skintones, with at least 1/3 of the skin visible.

An explanation of the OzPainters Challenges can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5369

Pictures of completed models and any description you want to add to them should be added to this thread by 12.01 am 20/11/2015.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 am 

You know I think Hasselfree will provide the perfect minis for this challenge. So many semi-naked or naked females and males to choose from.

To spare you all I've decided not to paint the naked wanking incubus. :mrgreen: I've always seen him as a skinny white rapper dude anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:58 am 

You have a naked wanking incubus mini?
Goodness me...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:31 am 

Ah, this I understand.

I think all I've got which I could use would be a servitor... And that may not even have enough flesh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:15 pm 

@ Angora - Well it only seemed right. I needed to own at least one naked male miniature, cause I have a few naked female miniatures. Unequal otherwise. :wink:

Hasslefree make incubus miniatures. I'm going to get all the incubus and succubus one day. :D Handy for painting skin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:52 am 

Ok no one can have a better excuse than me for not finishing this one... but lucky for me I poured the resin an hour before. :wink: So all finished, other than peeling away the plastic card.

I was hit by a car. On my motorbike. I came off and slide across the road. Another 30cm and she could have crushed my right leg, peripheral vision saved me there and I sped up to escape it, but the bike was hit in the muffler.

Sorry I can't supply nice gory reference pics, but I was attacked by ambos and nurses and now everything is covered in bandages. I've no broken bones, some nice road rash and impressive bruises. It seems I have strong bones as my wrist isn't broken. Surprising as that is what I came down on. Point of impact.

Bike got off lightly too, and now I have an interesting paperweight as my clutch lever snapped off the bike. Insurance will cover.

So people get to work on those entries. :lol: Unless you can come up with a better excuse than me. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:24 pm 

Wow sorry to hear it, but glad you're OK. I'll miss seeing your entry this month. Best of luck on the recovery!

My painting blog over on Carpe Noctem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:14 am 

Well that sux kara as long as your okish could have been a lot worse I have a better excuse I'm lazy :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:09 am 

Can't argue, it does seem to be the ultimate excuse. :roll:

My entry will be fine, just have to peel away the plastic card. Which I can do, although I can't open a packet of chips or hold a milk carton with my left hand.

@ Oddian- Thanks. Do you have an entry for this challenge? I'm aiming to enter into all of them. The benefit is in what you learn from them, about your own painting methods, ruts you naturally fall into (always paint blue the same way without thinking), the ways you see colour, etc.

I can't help myself I'm already trying to fix up another scenic base. :lol: Can't knead putty either. But I'm healing quickly and it was a miracle the damage wasn't worse. My doctor is amazed that I was going so fast and I am still walking around after the impact. So I suspect by mid next week it will be back to normal. :mrgreen:

Although I must protect the bike from my Mum, she wants to smash it so I can't ride again :cry: But she'll have to go through me first. A bit of a hypocrite as she has a 1980-something Harley Davidson Shovel and has been riding for 40+ years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:13 am 

@loup_garouis No sorry I don't for this month, which is a shame because I liked the theme and it would help me practice, but I'm neck deep in another model I'm working on. If I have time when it's done I'll give it a crack, but I don't like my chances. I'll try to get into the next one.

My painting blog over on Carpe Noctem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:46 pm 

loup_garouis wrote:
@ Oddian- Thanks. Do you have an entry for this challenge? I'm aiming to enter into all of them. The benefit is in what you learn from them, about your own painting methods, ruts you naturally fall into (always paint blue the same way without thinking), the ways you see colour, etc.

Thats the whole aim of these challenges :)

Sounds like a bad situation, but also sounds like you might have been in a far worse situation with a bit of difference on timing. Here's hoping you heal up quickly. I should be starting prep work on my mini this weekend. I've had things like PAX and a few family commitments delay me for this challenge.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:10 am 

Just a reminder all that the entries are due by the 20th as above. I'm going to end up speed painting mine as I've had a rough few months leading to this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:10 pm 

Getting in before I get distracted tomorrow.

Skin was a mix of warm browns from Vallejo Model Air and some Reaper Master Series paints like Dark Skin, and the Dusky Skin Triad. I had a few reference pictures of Alek Wek, and while this didn't end up fully a Sudanese skintone I'm happy with the result.

The idea is that the crystal ball is her entertainment, her telly. And while she has our captive audience, something else has hers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:19 pm 

Nice! Though the skull just behind the crystal in the first photo made me think it was a familiar or similar thing holding it at first.

Sadly, I'm not going to be able to get mine done. I've had a freaking annoying month with PAX distracting me in a planned way, the hospital visits and family issue. Next one, next one. I really miss doing these.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:07 pm 

Submissions are now closed!