Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:25 pm 

For anyone who hasn’t seen this before, a description of the OzPainters Challenges can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5369

This challenge is…

Open! Paint whatever you want, it's open for anything! Multiple entries are welcome, and encouraged!

Entries are due by May 31st at 11:59pm (NSW time). Voting will commence the next day and be open for two weeks. To enter, post an image (or images) in this thread, as well as a brief description about working on the model, like the look you were aiming for or techniques you used. If you use CMON or Putty and Paint, feel free to include a link to your post on there in the description as well. If you win the vote, you get to pick the topic for Challenge 17.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 am 

cool that is good timing, as I have just started painting again :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm 

Hey guys,

My name's Patrick, I'm a painter based in Melbourne and I run a little miniature painting service called Brush Bro. Studios. Usually I sit on the sidelines, but I'd like to get a bit more involved these days.

So I present to you my entry to the Oz Painters Challenge

Shield Maiden

The Shield Maiden by Nuts Planet is a 1/10th scale bust and my first time painting a figure larger than the usual 32mm. It presents the painter with a fantastic opportunity to explore a wide variety of materials and painting techniques.

There is female skin, allowing you to practice subtle wet blending between tones.
There is leather, allowing you to practice using glazing over zenithal priming to maintain a leather-like texture underneath.
There is metal, allowing you to practice the unique distribution of lights and shadows on metallic surfaces.
And finally there is wood, allowing you to practice creating textures with freehand.

I highly recommend this sculpt along with a fantastic painting tutorial by Ben Komets of Painting Buddha for painters of all levels looking to improve!

Oh, and you can also vote for the Shield Maiden on P&P http://pnp.li/GFFe

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:26 am 

Welcome to the group, Patrick! You've done some great work there!

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 pm 

Greetings, the name's Russell - long time painter (think Heroquest and 2nd Edition Warhammer 40K), first time poster.

Currently enjoying painting fantastic Corvus Belli 28mm Infinity models - and presenting one I've finished for this Open comp - a power-armoured Al Fasid Heavy Infantry of the Haqqislam faction.

I've been trying to grow my painting skills of late - and unlearn bad habits from years of batch painting GW models - and for this model I've worked on improving smoother layering and zenithal highlighting, along with trying to work on basic NMM techniques on the weapons and power armour servos. Although not as apparent on this model than on other recent ones, I've also been experimenting with using washes in unusual colour combinations part way through the layering - for example the grey leg pieces have a brown wash midway through, which (under better photographic conditions, I promise!) gives an oily, used appearance to the end product - instead of a crisp, straight out of the factory look. I've discovered this technique also works well for making leather coats looks like Driza-Bones too!

ImageImage
ImageImage

P.S. Patrick that Shieldmaiden is phenomenal - the skin epescially, bravo.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:14 pm 

Hi troops, having followed the site for years, here's my first attempt.
All aussie influence, figs by Victoria Miniatures, Back-to Basixs bases & landscaping materials sourced locally.
Wanted to depict an actual penal :lol: :oops: squad resplendent in convict garb, toting crappy lasguns with shives of wood tied on. Cannon fodder for the empire.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Turelio on Mon May 29, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cleaning up tags so the images display - Turelio

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:08 am 

hey guys here is something finally finished not the best pics as I had to use my phone

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:14 pm 

Nice work from all
Good to see you laying down paint jason 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:10 pm 

Nice looking entries!

Here are my filthy rats!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:08 am 

That's all, folks! Entries closed, and the voting should be up later today.