Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Malifaux Wastrel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:09 pm 

Hi all,

Here's one I finished last night.
It's one of the Wastrel from the Malifaux Relic Hunters set.
A cool mini but with some slightly odd sculpting around the sleeves and a VERY tiny face that was a nightmare to paint.
Overall I'm pretty happy with him - I was going for good gaming quality, not high display.

Post subject: Re: Malifaux Wastrel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:19 pm 

Looks great Pete. Base works well for him as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:34 pm 

Loved this mini when I saw it and you've done a great job with it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:34 pm 

he looks great have to ask what you used for the bricks on the base they look nice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:38 pm 

They are made from 1.5mm plasticard.

Here's a tutorial I wrote up for another forum:

1: Grab a circle cutter and set it with a radius just a bit smaller than the base. In this case it's a round lipped insert style base. The same applies to a standard GW style base but I'd probably make the bricks bigger than the base in that case and file/sand them back.
You only need to score the plasticard (this is 1.5mm stuff). It then snaps out easily

2: Score the brickwork pattern in using a knife (and a ruler if you want straight bricks)

3: Using a small pair of pliers snap the bricks apart. I only do one row at a time as it's REALLY easy to mix them up if you break the whole thing down.
They are then glued using standard plastic glue to the base:
As you can see by making the circle smaller than the base there are now gaps between the bricks!

4: I use a small piece of plastiscene to fill up the slot so the tiles will sit neatly over the hole
The finished brick pattern

5: I then prepare to add some fine flock into the gaps using PVA and a sharpened skewer.
Try and keep the PVA in the channels and press the base firmly into the flock. Just brush off any excess.

6: I now need to age the bricks. The Plasticard is smooth and flat so I attack it with my sculpting blade. Cut off corners, take out gouges, make small cracks - whatever you feel like. Ideally you should do this BEFORE the flocking but I forgot! :oops:
Here's the "distressed" brickwork - I need to retouch my "mortar" now...

PAINTING

Undercoat with black

Drybrush with GW Doombull Brown (Dark Flesh) and then lightly with GW Elysian Green (Cammo Green)

Light drybrushes with a big, soft brush of Zandri Dush and Ushabti Bone. Keep your brush moving in the same plane to give the highlights some direction. In this case I worked from top left of the image to bottom right.

Edge Highlights with pure Ushabti Bone and some Skull White using a fine brush.

Start adding glazes. I start with Druchii Violet using my nifty wetbrush. It's a brush with a hollow handle that is filled with water. It makes for easy glazing as the water is constantly present to smooth out the wash. Glaze the opposite side of the bricks to the way you drybrushed. Also run the glaze into the cracks between the bricks.

Add some Athonian Cammoshade in the same manner:

Follow up with Corelia Greenshade and, when dry another hit of Violet just to pull it all back.
The paint the mossy bits with Elysian Green.

Lastly wash the moss with Cammoshade or Agrax Earthshade and then drybrush highlights on by adding Ushabti bone. Bring the green back up with a glaze made up from Lamentors Yellow and Guillman Blue (GW Glazes).
Paint the edge black and you are done!
New base is on the right - previous one on the left. Not a bad match.

I'll probably add some pigments once I attach the mini to help it look more alive.

Hope you like it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:08 pm 

That wet brush looks interesting. where'd you find that one!?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:39 am 

I got mine in Eckersley's - an art store. Our Riot Art n' Craft didn't stock them.
It was only a few bucks. Bevan (Paintingploddy) put me on to them - great for washes!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 am 

Thanks ill go hunting this weekend. See what I can find.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:31 pm 

Hmm... I might go hunting for a wetbrush as well if they are cheap. I'm near an Eckersleys enough.

Nice work on him. Are you planning on doing the rest of the crew, or was he just a one off? I really like the colours on the back of his coat.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:17 am 

I'm going to do the whole crew. Might take me a while though - maybe for MOAB 2014... :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:18 am 

I'd be keen to see those! The are cool looking models.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm 

Also, I bought a pack of wet brushes earlier today :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:04 pm 

Cool!