Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:03 am 

automaton wrote:
VMartin - with the purple, I like your explanation haha, but what really happened was this: I was a bit too heavy handed when re-applying the metallics after shading haha, so I lost a bit more of the colour than I wanted. That's why I decided to bring back some of the colour at a later stage. This is pretty common I think, so maybe it was a good lesson to try to teach: you can always add more colour at any stage of the process, and it's important to be aware of how the overall effect is progressing as you paint. Then, you can adjust things accordingly.

Also, I find that if a layer of colour is present underneath but get a bit lost, it is very easy to bring it out with a light re-glazing over the top - the subtle hints of the colour are still there, meaning that the colour comes out again without much effort.

Ah, I see. :D Thanks for explaining that! Hopefully I'll be able to put this into practice soon.

And I agree with laurence's post. :) The article is really inspiring.

- Joseph Campbell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:42 am 

Thanks alot for his article Seb, iv been thinking about making the step up to 52mm but the standard of my metallics has been puttin me off. ill def give the larger scale a try now after reading this :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:47 pm 

Thanks for teh article Seb, teh proccess is actually remarably similar to that which I followed while I was working on my costodian entry into GD this year... Same sort of technique, just not defined as such, rather working and making things up as I went! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:40 pm 

thankyou so much!

this article helps more than you could possibly realise!
so much detail- all is (mostly) clear now!

aidan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:36 am 

great article!
I'll try this method on my next mini, I'm sure that my metallics will have a great improvement.
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:48 am 

Thanks guys, I am very happy that the article is interesting, possibly useful, and even perhaps understandable! :D

Szymon - there is no real answer to 'how many layers'...it just depends on what colour, how dilute, what effect you are wanting etc. etc....I'm afraid you just need to judge it yourself! And it's not such a rigid, well defined process of 'layers' anyway: you just keep painting over the surface until you are satisfied, a bit at a time. But that's why I have included the progress photos, to show you how much the colour changed each time.

Ok everyone, I am moving house TODAY, and I don't think that there is an Internet connection at the new house yet. So I may be offline for a while - I will try to get to an Internet cafe every few days though, until we get connected at home. But please excuse me if I don't reply immediately to any messages online for the next little while. Until then, cya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:17 am 

Very cool stuff. I like to think that I'm picking up more and more of this technique as the days go by (even though I haven't really been painting heh). I'm starting work on a chaos lord of tzeentch which will be painted mostly in metallics so it will be a perfect way to test how far I've actually come.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:06 pm 

Love the article. I gave the method/technique a go today on a reaper mini I picked up last week from melb city mind games specifically for practicing different metallics on.

I have used a more dark copperish pallet e.g. more reddish brown, lol and kind of went off track and now the armour looks like copper.

I went to more of thin glazes over the flat sections of the armour and then pushed it towards the recesses with a clean brush. Different effect was achieved but I shall give it another go soon.

I will get some pick tomorrow or Wednesday up for anyone keen for a squiz.

~piggles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:33 pm 

Wow.. Ive finally had a crack at this. Thank you thank you thank you for this tute. Im not making masterwork minis, but my blending is getting better. Im having trouble getting my mithril to be highlighted with the metal medium. I cant seem to get the final highlights to pop without looking to delineated. So as i blend it in, it tends to look uniform generally.

Im planning on popping in to GW on Saturday. So i might show some of the work im doing if someone can help me with highlight placement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:54 pm 

I'll be in to Kurt and Im pretty sure most of the Eastgardens crew will be aswell if you wanna do some painting together? I gotta get started on my GD entries :shock:

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:08 pm 

In future Kurt and Steve post in the Sydney Painters Sub-Forum about goings meetings and get togethers in Syd.

:oops: Altough we are totally Hi-Jacking this thread....... I will at GW tomorrow, so if you need help Kurt I can helpt you out with your Metals.

Sooooo back onto metallics........ :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:20 am 

yer this is well good. ive had a go myself at using this sort of technique on my ogre, ill post some pics soon. do u want me to post em here or on the painting thread on the possible painting challenge?