Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:21 pm 

@ mantra its all good matey :D im pretty happy to still have placed! well, to have placed tentatively haha! Im kinda sad that the falcon didnt go over as well as I hoped, that thing sure had some dramas attached so i can understand why it wasnt a finalist and the ither entries were wicked!
its all fine and by no means do i hold anyone of this fine forum responsible for my premature celebrations haha, its all in the fun yeah :wink:

cheers

Heath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:57 pm 

I've corrected a few of the placings -I get the feeling there's quote a few errors still so just PM me and I'll fix it up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:21 am 

OK, I finally have a chance to post up something more than a quick sentence.

Congrats to everyone who entered, and specifically placed. A big congratulations to Kyle for getting the sword. It is a fantastic entry, and really showed off your skills. Being my first Games Day, I think I may have spread out what I was looking at over the course of the day a bit too much. I've noticed on a few photo streams that there were a lot of tables and models I didn't notice on the day. It was fantastic to catch up with so many people on the day and actually have a chance to talk to them.

The day itself seemed to be pretty well organised. My main concern was that the lines would take too long to get in, and people wouldn't be able to hand in their demon entries within the first hour. However not only did they get everyone in pretty quickly, but they had it set up for early entries. The only criticism I would have would be one I think a lot of people had: The tables for demons could have been higher, and have better lighting. I think I walked away on a few occasions because it was so hard to see details or stoop low enough to see them all properly. However it was nice that we could get so close to the models to see them. That, and the music, but the music seems to be pretty standard for any GW event anyway.

Like I said, it was great to catch up with everyone, meet some new people, and also see some people that almost disappeared for a while (Like Ralph, who seemed to appear from nowhere just before opening). The minis that were entered were incredible, even the ones I have seen in progress or before had tiny details I had not noticed before.

As for what I walked away with :shock: :o . I think at some point during the day I managed to convince myself that I had not placed, and even if I had, it wouldn't be for the gold in either category. Getting a gold for both of the ones I got through after never getting a demon before had me on a buzz through the entire weekend (And I'm pretty sure it distracted me from the ankle I somehow hurt until Monday afternoon). I think Kyle is a bit psychic though. He told me at regionals that he thought Eowyn would place, and when I walked off the stage after the first one, he suggested we hang around close to the stage, as "You never know, you might get another gold" or words to that effect :oops: Still a bit of a shock.

Another bit that sticks in my mind as great fun was standing and cheering for all the OzPainters whose names we recognised when they were announced. Especially when those people weren't there, and the announcers were watching us wondering why no one was coming forward from our group :D

And as always, camels afterwards was heaps of fun, as was MOAB the next two days (One giant hobby weekend) :). Although, Martin, if you lost your wine from camels and wondered where it was, I found it in the backseat after we dropped you off on Sunday :).

Also, I think that big thanks should go to Michael (Angel0). He spent most of his time from what I saw taking photos of all the models on display, doing a fantastic job, as he has done for the past few years. He's got some great photos of the entrants, and also the other people that got to finals.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:58 am 

Hi guys,

firstly congratulations to everyone who took part in Gamesday this year. Like so many others this was my first Gamesday too and I was lucky enough to be able to come over from Adelaide to attend. Personally I didn't enter anything in Golden Demon this year as I simply ran out of time. Somehow my local GW store managed to talk me into entering Armies on Parade instead which ended up being incredibly time consuming. I was lucky enough to win and represent the store on the day with my Blood Angels army if any of you saw it? It ended up becoming an also ran but I didn't mind as it won a tcket to enable my daughter to come to Gamesday too (she surprisingly had a ball getting her photo taken with the likes of Phil Kelly)

I really enjoyed being able to look at everyones entries and to finally see some of the demon winning entries up close as opposed to online in years past. It certainly gives you a greater appreciation of the talent and skills people are able to demonstrate with a brush. I agree with others here though about the lighting for the display table it certainly could have been much better. Another thing I thought was a bit poor that noone seems to have mentioned yet was the fact that there was no big screen displaying the minis for each winning entry during the presentation ceremony. The minis were being photographed during the day and it would have been no biggy to display them. If you had no idea which entry was which during the announcements it made it difficult to remember who won what for what! Just a small observation that would make a big difference on the day.

I enjoyed putting faces to the names and remember telling my daughter when Seb walked past us and we saw Kyle nearby "do you know who that is? there goes two of the best mini painters in the world" True story. Maybe next year with some entries of my own on the table I'll have the courage to walk up and say hello :oops:

Amytornis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:05 am 

You really should have said hello! We dont bite! :P

I actually remember your Blood Angels quite well. I was very impressed with the standard. They were such a nice clean crisp paintjob on the Tactical Marines, and the black highlights on the Death Company were very well done. I probably thing they were one of the best painted armies in the competition. But I am pretty sure most know that with a comp like that, it is not the painting standard, but the overall impact that will get you votes.... But I was thoroughly impressed with the overall high standard of your army! I wish I had an army painted to that standard. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:29 am 

Yeah for sure, you should've come and said hello! It's always great to meet new people, and most of us met at competitions like that, in the first place :D

Well done getting through to the finals with your army! I admire anyone who has patience enough to paint a whole army to a good standard...there's no way I could do it, I'd get bored and give up after the second marine, haha :mrgreen: Next year you should enter some stuff in golden demon, for sure - it's always good fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 am 

GW Blog has an article on the Oz Armies on Parade winner:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =18500036a

The army looks so much different in the photos than on the day due to the difference in lighting! But it was a fantastic and worthy winner. What I liked was that there was so much to look at, every bit of the board had something interesting happening. And it had a bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:36 pm 

Facebook page update from GW:

Quote:
Golden Demon 2011 placings

Just a quick note to inform you all that there have been a few delays regarding the winners list for this year's Golden Demon.

We want to make certain we publish the correct details. Once these issues have been sorted out, we will announce the final winners.

Thank you for your patience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:28 pm 

Ah. Righto, all nifty then. I just killed off my facepage account, so I'm unable to view it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:47 am 

hey guys,

a big congratulations to those who picked up demons and for those who entered. An even bigger congats to Kyle on picking up the sword with a piece that has some extremely cool details. That ork servo skull is awesome!

There seemed to be some really cracking pieces in your GD!! nice work one and all :)

chris

blog: http://www.monkeyman7x.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:31 pm 

there are pictures of some highlights of ForgeWorld minis at GD Australia.... one can only hope that the GD results are just around the corner...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.307229389294348.96205.257094630974491&type=1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:48 pm 

Dances are an important ingredient in painting for GD.

I'll accept that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 pm 

Also, no sigin of the 'Bohun' FW Dark Angel dread... you would think that there would have been a picture of the awesome paintjob there if it was one of the winners?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:06 pm 

Maybe, but then again, Beau was saying that his chaos ogre which placed was forge world, and that isn't shown there either.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:15 pm 

Maybe they're getting the pics over time?

Dances are an important ingredient in painting for GD.

I'll accept that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next