Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:21 am 

hmm... yes. The team at GW need to get a real/decent designer to to something with those photos. I've been out of that side of design for 2yrs and I know for a fact I could produce better quality images then what they seem to supply with the set up they had, there must be some restrictions or something maybe?. Still its better then none I guess....

Also while I'm dissapointed about the cheating and the result of the non-DQ'ed stuff, Im still very happy that GD was so much fun on the day. So some pathetic loser has shown what a complete f-tard he is. Now he and all his friends can now go and laugh about how awesome they are while they play with themselves and discus their pathetic lives. I still took away with me the experience of an awesome event and seeing all the real painters and their works. Plus it was awesome to see some new winners (cheating aside) and see Kyle get photo fist-bombed... I mean, get the sword...

Its disheartening to the painters who may have missed out because of one persons idea of fun is to see if he can get away with cheating, but don't let one person take away all the fun you had. After all thats what he's trying to do. So take all the positives like meeting the paintiers seeing the cool minis that we came up with, talk about how we are going to all win golds next year and join as one hoping the cheat contracts leprosy of the ballsac :mrgreen:

Seriously, I mean it. Ball leprosy.

WAU mods are over sensitive to somethings, specially if it devolves into a flame war as that thread did. Also there was some issue with the thread meant to be for "tourney organisers only" to discuss, but everyone had something to say. Thats why I think it was shift-deleted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:47 am 

Pleased to see the Harlequin falcon elevated to bronze.

Not removing the other examples of "Gerard Barbs" stuff is rather BS.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:49 am 

Who was the 'cheater' then, first I've heard about it....

Really dissapointed with photos, especially my bits (silver in fantasy and bronze in lost demon), could have got better pics with my phone... :( :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:57 am 

Unfortunately the set up of the Australian comp would help him even if he is banned for life. Just turn up at a store where you aren't known. Give a false name to enter and steer clear of of the Regionals and Games Day. We may all need to undergo biometric scans to enter next year to cut down on the fraud.

Like Peter I remember the guy crapping on at the cabinet. While I can't say my spidey senses were tingling I certainly didn't feel the urge to speak to him.

It is a travesty that he wasn't disqualified from the whole comp. While they may be pursuing a innocent until proven guilty in relation to each category, it would be better if they viewed it as a guilty of cheating you are out of the contest (after all you only pay a single entry fee no matter how many categories you enter). The terms and conditions don't prohibit entering under a false name, and they simply say a miniature painted by someone else would be disqualified. There is no condition regarding deliberate cheating and allowing for a general disqualification. Seems a major oversight.

On another note, does anyone know what is happening with trophies for interstate winners who weren't present? My minis are back but no trophy. Mousemuffins seems to have trophy his yet neither my local store nor Camberwell can shed any light as to what is happening. I plan on chasing it up on Monday but was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat or had more information.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:39 am 

Full disclosure here: I know the guy who was taking the photos on the day. I'm saying this now so that no one has to point this out and it looks suspicious later on.

In defence of the photos, think about how much time they have to get those entries photographed. They have 19 categories, and are photographing the top 5. That's almost 100 entries to photograph in the space of about 4 hours. There are always going to be disappointments with the photos on the day, but there is a big time factor to take into account. I was told that some of the entries did not turn out OK, and they retook photos of the ones they could get their hand on after the event (Ie. Local ones and ones not sent back to the stores out of state yet) so an effort has been made to get better photos. Anyone who seriously wants to follow up with what happened will hunt around the net for other photos, be they on the day or from the painters themselves. And for the people who painted the models, we have the option to spend more than a few minutes photographing our models, and also have been able to see them for longer, so will have a better idea of how to present the models in the photos.

As for the 'other' controversy, it will be interesting to see if GW says anything official about what happened there, or if a new rule will appear next year. It seems strange how it has been handled, especially since there are two remaining entries which I believe were also in question previously.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:52 am 

Photos can be tricky. We used a small light tent and a decent camera for the Open in September. We too had about 3 hours to shoot the entries and, with only 54 to do, it did take some time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:22 pm 

But I really don't see how it is possible to not get better pictures... I mean almost any painter who puts their pictures on online can take pictures of this standard. In the past they have asked for white handling bases for ease of photoshop retouching.... but these pictures have no evidence of photoshop. They still have the shadows of the mini in the background.

This is what I did in Photoshop in under 5 minutes.... white background and fixing the lighting on the picture.... I chose the Chaos Ogre, because it had a complicated base, and the colours seems a bit off.

Ok so there may be over 50 pics or so... but really wouldnt take more then half a day to do.... give me the pics and I would have done it for free!

And the defence of being busy.... well... GW Oz is not the only country that has Games Day.... a lot of other countries manage to get better quality pictures (and release them much quicker!) and they would have way more entries to take pictures of on the day. Like the UK GD. Hell they even put pictures up on the web live on the day! http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=0&aId=18400001a&start=1&multiPageMode=true

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:41 pm 

Ahhh jeees.....

I had high hopes that the Gerard thing would be properly resolved, seems it was partially resolved at best.

You just can't say he's guilty of cheating a little bit, so we'll take some of your glory away, what? really?

If you cheat, in any competition you should be disqualified in that competition, not just partly disqualified... It would be like if I was to cheat at a tournament but only in 4 of 5 games and still getting a sportsmanship prize lol

The photos are truly disappointing, my entry doesn't even look like it should have placed and that's not just because it's not in focus, it's also an angle which shows none of the best parts of the model and because there's only one... :(

A lot of other GD photos I've seen have more than one image of the winning entries, not sure why we can't do that too..

Quote:
Like Peter I remember the guy crapping on at the cabinet. While I can't say my spidey senses were tingling I certainly didn't feel the urge to speak to him.

+1. I even spoke to the guy, he was definitely taking credit for the paint work but seemed way too distracted by the game he was playing to speak much with the pother painters which did seem odd to me at the time (painter goes to golden demon regionals to play a game?)...
Also, the marine in terminator armour is clearly painted by the same painter as the dreadnought was, as for the diorama; the scout was amazing and the rest pretty basic, the base was terrible imo and isn't that terribly suspicious...
I still wasn't thinking he'd done what he clearly did do... I wish there was some way to guarantee he didn't do this again, but without GW banning him for life I can see this issue repeating again, the "man" clearly has no morals having come from the loaded dice fiasco and jumped right into winning Golden Demon awards for someone else's work.

I feel sorry for those in the other two categories who may have missed out on an award due to this... thing... taking credit for someone else's work, sorry guys I think GW have let you down there.

Now, the guy committed fraud this time, any legal actions going on?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:59 pm 

Good points Kyle. I'll admit that my photoshop experience is limited to 'I once held the disc at work' so I'm not aware of how easy it is to manipulate photos etc on there, and what time frame would be involved. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the overseas comps have just one photographer as well? As was pointed out, overseas tend to have better photos/speed.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:03 pm 

Well..... They managed to produce better photos and a book for the GD Oz 2006 results and that was one photographer.... ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:16 pm 

Hi all..

First up.... thanks for the 'adjusted' picture Kyle.... my blue ogre looks lots better (who said Chaos Ogres can't be blue? :) )

@ Arithon.. "I really want to be able to build a dirt mound base that Ogre is placed on- just stunning"
Thanks for that... the base was made as follows:
1. To achieve the height, I used a cork - light, strong and added stablility.
2. The dirt around the cork was a mix of real dirt, plaster, resin for pigments and various earthy pigments.... mixed together and painted/slapped on.
http://migproductionswebshop.com/produc ... ucts_id=68
3. The flat top was Modelling clay with the top painted with "Distress crackle paint"...... this stuff is fantastic!!
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/ ... edium.html
http://www.migproductionsforums.com/php ... f=5&t=8513

All undercoated black than various paints and pigments.... I wanted a contrasting base to highlight the Ogre, plus the tree and branches added a frame.

Beau

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:39 pm 

Thanks Beau- I will give it go, the scary part though is I think I have alot of that stuff sitting around the house including the crackle medium which I think my wife used on a project over 10 years ago. :oops:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:32 pm 

perhaps GW needed some other painters to claim the other 2 entries as being theirs before they could disqualify them?

Well, those in Vic can watch out for the cheater next year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:59 pm 

There were nothing in the rules for this year's competition that said that the PAINTER would be disqualified by entering someone else's work, only the models... So basically under the rules of the competition they had not grounds to disqualify the other work even though we all know that he probably didn't paint them himself (and I saw the army he was playing with, really nothing going on there that pointed towards him possessing much skill or patience).

Next year he rules may not stay as they were this year.

This year GW have to tread carefully within the letter of their own rules because believe it or not, the guy could take legal action against them if they were to disqualify the models and he did actually paint them, they need proof and their rules don't mention other models "painted" by the same guy.

Of course I would assume that GW could also take legal action against him for fraudulently entering their competition given the bad publicity it gives them, fraud IS a pretty serious offence, even if this is only a painting competition..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:12 pm 

right - so let me get this straight:- the guy has had a disqualified entry for cheating yet has placed with two other entries, at least one of which appears to have been based on a model plonked into a duel surrounded by sub-par painting on the rest of the entry (which is probably the only thing he has possibly painted - the crap part...) and retained those placings.

GW what the f*ck are you thinking?

seriously.

What sort of message does that send to the rest of the painting community, not only in Australia, but the world (and word will inevitably spread to the rest of the world - very quickly)?

I know that if I was the poor sod who came '4th' (and yes, I know they don't award 4th's, but they DO have a top 5 that they select top 3 placings from so it's not a stretch of the imagination to narrow it down) and pushed out of a place then I would be pretty pissed off that a known cheat was allowed to retain his 'placing', demon and record in the history books as having beaten me.

It's not on and should be taken further. Leaving it as is only erodes the credibility of the competion and the judging process...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/wereweevil

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next