Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 pm 

DISCLAIMER: (Similar to last year) If your miniature doesn't appear here, I apologise, I either missed photographing it or the photograph was too poor to do it justice. Also the photos are the best I could manage shooting under the lighting conditions and the crab like shuffle done on my knees. I've attempted to capture an angle that excludes other miniatures where possible while working with the limitations described.

Also, there was no screen showing the winning entrants, so if I have messed up on the winners or anything else, just send me a private message and I'll update the post.

[GOLD]
[Silver]
[Bronze]
[Most Underated]
[Other Entries]

Last edited by AngelO on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:11 pm 

Woaahhh!! :shock: I didn't notice the spirals on the dreadnought when I saw it!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dances are an important ingredient in painting for GD.

I'll accept that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:18 pm 

first of all i'll introduce myself, hi my name is Ben, i just joined ozpainters and this is my 2nd time doing GD first time making it to the finals

and 2nd of all i cant believe that my sentinal got silver :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: that was a shock haha

also that dreadnought is amazing, awesome job :D would've taken forever to do those swirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm 

Welcome Ben! You should post a little intro of yourself in the introductions thread so we can all say howdy!

Congratulations on your placing! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:40 pm 

Well done Ben - I told you it was a good chance to place didn't I? Good thing that base got sorted out before it was handed in eh? :wink:

Marcus

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/wereweevil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:46 pm 

Who did the dread? that is feckin' amazing. Great sentinel too. I'd like to see some better pics of it. Congrats to all, this was obviously a really strong category.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:20 pm 

Yep, the entries this year were amazing (although being the first year I've been up to Sydney to see the finalists in person I'm a bit biased!).

I would have loved to see more lighting over the GD area, it made viewing and photographing a little tricky, especially for the slightly darker models.

The Dread is by Raymond Barbulescu, he also did the DA Terminator and the diorama with a DA Scout & Tyranid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:57 pm 

thanks all and heaps of thanks to marcus who made me keep running back and forth to fix up my entries haha :mrgreen:

also has that dreadnought guy entered before i dont think i've seen or heard of him before :?:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:18 pm 

I noticed the swirls on the day. I was staring at that mini for quite some time, admiring the work. Which state is Raymond from? Is he Victorian?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 am 

vic wrote:
Who did the dread? that is feckin' amazing. Great sentinel too. I'd like to see some better pics of it. Congrats to all, this was obviously a really strong category.

The dread is from a new guy to the Aussie sceene. I lined up with him when we were putting in models on the day. He has been following alot of UK styles and painters, and is doing it very well by the looks of it. He mentioned that hes isn't really a big fan of forums (but we could always try and convert him to OZ Painters... we are no ordinary forum after all).

PS vic - I won one of your mini's at MOAB in their painting comp (your noble). Really looking forward to painting it and the sculpt looks really nice!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:41 am 

@ Weisern - He entered in Victoria.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 am 

I was looking over on a polish forum called Chest of Colors and they are claiming that the Dreadnaught is not the work of the entrant. An artist named Bohun has come out saying it is a commission piece he did.

http://chestofcolors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7564

If this is true it casts doubt on all three of this entrant's winning entries in vehicle, 40k single and duel. Is it possible that this Raymond Barbulescu was unaware that entries must be the sole work of the entrant? Or did his conversations with people include statements that he painted these himself?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:57 am 

Oh no. That's not good. I hope it's just a mix-up. Someone entered one of my models in the US once, and got a silver. I got a bronze with the same model...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:08 pm 

Rogue Leader wrote:
I was looking over on a polish forum called Chest of Colors and they are claiming that the Dreadnaught is not the work of the entrant. An artist named Bohun has come out saying it is a commission piece he did.

http://chestofcolors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7564

If this is true it casts doubt on all three of this entrant's winning entries in vehicle, 40k single and duel. Is it possible that this Raymond Barbulescu was unaware that entries must be the sole work of the entrant? Or did his conversations with people include statements that he painted these himself?

I spoke to him at Camberwell and it certainly felt like he was claiming credit for the entries...

I really hate when this sort of controversy occurs, it casts so my negativity of an otherwise awesome event.

I read the CoC posts and it seems fairly open shut that the dread is indeed the same one, to have 3-4 other posters all clue onto it being from that artist before the artist himself posted anything makes it seem that way and the dread is incredibly distinctive.

Given that the 40k single entry is painted in a very similar fashion as well, I am curious if this was painted by the same artist as well... Will wait and see I guess, the Polish artist is speaking with people here now to see about clearing up any confusion...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 pm 

Let's not make any accusations here till we see proof or an official word from GW - don't want us or the forum to be counter-accused of defamation.