Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:08 pm 

Nah sorry mate, I don't take pictures of my work, it was a crewed inquisitorial rhino.

I really just meant the category as a whole, not my specific vehicle. I guess it does get shadowed by the single model side of things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:14 pm 

welcome aboard Nathan.
vehicle this year? umm i feel it was no where near as tight as other categories like single this year,
compared to years where we had crazy airbrushed eldar vehicles and other freehand heavy rhinos and and landraiders,
and seb sentinels. it snuck under the radar alittle.
but that is the nature of golden demon you have to be in it to win it and it shouldn't detract glory from the winners of quieter categories.

i agree that bike was tidy very neat and consistent free hand with the checks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm 

I'm sorry, I will do better next year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:29 pm 

Hey, I remember it! It was really cool, man; a nice subdued colour scheme, and a well painted interior. It really had a lot of character.

Dances are an important ingredient in painting for GD.

I'll accept that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:37 pm 

offense taken? not intended.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:45 pm 

no, no offense taken, just saying i will do better next year.

Proved my point with realistic vehicles now, and can now go and ignore the background entirely and paint something bright :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 pm 

Lucien. I can understand that our comments here may sound like we had no interest in the Vehicles on display in the competition. But often there are so many entries at GD, that you only selectively look at the models and entries that yourself or friends have entered. So maybe that is why not many members here remember what was entered?

I think Vehicles are an interesting category, because now with all the techniques used on Tanks, it is quite different to most of the other categories. That is not to say that it is worse. Far from it. A good vehicle can be far better then single miniature entries if done well... It just depends on how committed you are at painting a model that size and also trying out different techniques. And as far as what RALPH was saying... I think he meant that there used to be a few big name painters that entered very amazing vehicles, but they havent been active for a while. So we were not sure of what we would see on display this year in the vehicle. I am sure that what ever won was more then likely worthy of winning! There were no easy demons this year thats for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:19 pm 

A few photos from the day. I can't get photobucket to work at the moment from some reason, so I've uploaded as a Facebook gallery, and made it public, so anyone should be able to view it. If there are any problems, let me know. Will try to make it a photobucket gallery in the next week or so:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 421&type=1

EDIT: The Miranda store has also put up and album:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 984&type=1

Play spot the OzPainter. It's easy on the last photo.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:24 am 

Awesome competition this year I've been drooling over the photos of all the entries wish I could of been there!!!! I noticed in the photos the tau battle suit had been re-entered, did it place? If it didn't did they get any feedback on why it didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 am 

Every year I forget just how nerve wracking, exciting, enjoyable yet exhausting GD is! Thanks for another one people, I had a great time, and I thought the standard was really good this year too. Thankyou to everyone for your kind words about my unit- it was pretty trying at times but it means a lot that people like it in the end :D

Kyle- Thankyou for your advice and help with my entry this year! It was great to have someone to show a WIP to in person and get airbrush help and ideas on how to improve. Congrats too on your massive haul of deamons this year haha

Weisern- Hard luck on not getting anything this year, but I echo everyone else by saying that your entries were top notch, and your basing ideas are really out of the box. Hopefully we can all have another painting week sometime next year.

Mark- Big ups! A very well deserved sword, and high quality entries across the board. I can’t believe you followed up on that ‘usain bolt’ threat haha

Martin- What a diorama! I was blown away by it and, like Kyle mentioned, I would definitely have given it the gold. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next year

Drew- It’s a shame you didn’t place with your Theoden, I was sure it would have got a silver! Bring your A game next year man and you will have a trophy for sure! :D I also enjoyed ‘converting’ vast quantities of bits with you and Martin this year. Call it conversion of ownership...

Ralph- great to talk to you properly this year, and congrats on your silver :D We will have to tee up some painting in The Riff sometime soon!

Adam- it was great to meet you, and congradulations on all your demons! I really loved your entries, and the controlled shading on the juggernaut is ace

Mike- also great to meet you this year! I was a really big fan of your vampire- a silver behind the sword winner in a category as tough as fantasy single is no mean feat so well done :)
Skits- It was good to finally put face to name haha It must have been a mammoth effort to fly down specially for GD, but I hope you had fun!

And to the other guys I regularly enjoy catching up with at the deamons- Nick, Seb, Andrew, Jay etc, it was a pleasure as always. Hopefully this post GD meetup eventuates!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:30 am 

Tiljockey wrote:
Awesome competition this year I've been drooling over the photos of all the entries wish I could of been there!!!! I noticed in the photos the tau battle suit had been re-entered, did it place? If it didn't did they get any feedback on why it didn't.

Yeah i reentered it but it didn't even make it to the finals. I guess this year there was alot brighter mini's in the cabinet that pushed it to the side. While i didn't ask the judges about it, i'm guessing they weren't too happy with seeing the same model reentered again, without any touch-ups or anything.
I didn't rebase it or anything, which would have given it a chance, mainly because i didn't have time. But also i was uneasy enough about just reentering him, let alone pulling a 'george lucas' on him by rebasing it.

But yeah, i'm not too miffed that he didn't place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:53 am 

Still a winner in my book mate I'm a big fan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:59 pm 

Hi all, this is Rico Chia from Singapore.
Woohoo...this is my first post...
Greetings to everyone at Ozpainters!!

It's my first time entering a golden demon event and it was awesome!!
It's been an eye-opener for me and definitely have to work harder to ever achieve the high level at Golden demon Sydney.

Looking forward to learn more and get inspired!!
Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:32 am 

Welcome Rico! Congratulations on all your wins on he day! I hope you had a great time!

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:01 am 

Hi Rico!
Welcome! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next