Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm 

Finally back home now and I would like to thank everyone for an awesome games day, especially Weisern, Ralph, Mark, Mike and Jason for making me feel so welcome.
I'm so bummed out that I didn't manage to catch up with everyone after the event. I apologise as I wasn't myself, as I was so tiered from only 3-4 hrs of sleep on the 2 prior nights. I kept finding myself staring off into space and almost nodding off while standing up. When I got home I slept for 14hrs straight.

Anyway massive congratulations to Mark for the big win which was well deserved and brilliantly executed. Commiserations to Weisern for missing out on a placing with his great minis. The energy beam was rad. Unfortunately I don't think it helps having 2 copies of the same mini in the finalists.
I was also massively impressed by Mikes Vampire, not only was there great sculpting the painting including free hand was fantastic.

The standard this year was so high to the point that one of my fave mini's overall was a harpy based off some old artwork and it didn't even get to the finalists.

And finally I have managed to place with a mini, getting bronze for my version of "Arbaal the undefeated", which was still unfinished and I only stopped painting at 10:20 am as I had run out of time :D . I was the last person to enter and had to run up to the registrations desk as they were packing it away.
It has taken me 5 attempts to get here concentrating on only 1 mini per year and I have been working on arbaal slowly for 3 years now ( I last entered Luthor Huss in 2009). Of course every time I failed to place in the past I felt upset but given a few months I can always see why they failed to make the cut. Congratulations to Andrew, and Andrew as their minis were far better painted than mine and were well deserving. I still can't believe I placed above the amazing high elf dragon, and spider.
Next time I will take it seriously when Weisern tells everyone to hurry up with their entries.

Oh and Aiden your squad was my first pic for the sword when I was slowly making my way down the tables.

Thanks again to everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:52 pm 

Thanks for uploading the video Nick, that's awesome!

Regarding photos; when I get a chance, I'll take some good photos of my silver winning Vampire, but it's a bit hard at the moment because it's dark when I get home from work. I might have to wait until the weekend so I can do it in daylight. Everyone else could do the same of theirs because there aren't many photos around yet. I really want to have a close look at the entries (I forgot my glasses on the day which didn't help).

P.S I forgot to say earlier that it was really nice meeting you all finally. I had a really good day and enjoyed getting to know you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:03 pm 

Thanks for the Video Nick, it was great to watch! Also 9:08 is the the greatest moment! hahaha :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:13 pm 

Kyle, thanks for sharing the thoughts Alan had.

Adam, it was nice to meet you and good to see your technically smooth minis.

Martin, yeah a post GD meet some time. We'll try get it going in the NSW thread, and see how many are interested.

Aidan's unit, with the Caravaggio style mood was excellent!

Nick, good work on the video, thanks for uploading.

Shaun, Arbaal was very impressive!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm 

Good to see you didn't back down from the dare :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 pm 

Thanks for the vid ;)

We start to believe that digital cameras are a rare commodity in down under ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:34 pm 

Congrats everyone :D

Be sure to post plenty of lovely pics! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 pm 

KyleM wrote:
Like I said on the day, I really love the miniatures and would love to paint something like that myself! (hint, hint :wink: )

thanks fir thw kind words man. i'm really glad people are enjoying the entry.
and in regards to your not so subtke hints, i still have alot of unused ideas floating around from this project so ill take a look at maybe churning out some fun little sculpts once uni is done this year :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm 

I've just edited and dumped some photos here:
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/ ... gd%202012/

eg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:45 pm 

Looking back on it, I got a laugh at the photo in the pub. Not because of anything in the photo, but I recall you (Kyle) pausing at one point and saying 'Do you mind if I take a photo?'. I don't remember seeing anything that looked like a similar conversation when you took the photo onstage :D

Nice pictures Weisern! A nice mix of the models themselves, and the people looking at the entries as well.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:04 am 

woah what a day. demons were good this year, but sucks it was a sunday. i missed church. :wink:
seeing the oz painters crew again was great since i haven't been really active here was awesome, some of my favorite creeps.
seeing jaques win gold in unit was awesome considering we went to the same primary and high school.hopefully we can get him on here
mike that vampire is awesome! it was a great recreation.
i'm still buzzing i broke the bronze ceiling. after like 6 bronze i got a silver yeaaaah!
the funniest thing about alan merritt is how filthy that table was and we were pulling minis out for alan to look at, seriously i think i saw some ebola in the dirty ash trays

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 am 

Thanks for the pics, Weisern ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 am 

Well, I guess I better say some words about the comp!

First of all... I really wish I could have talked to people more, but with only an hour to myself throughout the day, I was strapped for time. The same goes with the GD entries. I didnt even get a chance to look at all of the entries sitting on the tables! :x I had a quick look before the doors opened at 10. And not all the entries were there. But then didnt get a chance to look at all after that. I took a break around 1pm I think, and some of the categories had been judged. so I got to see some finalists in the cabinets. Again, there were so many of you that I saw, and wanted to talk to, but didnt have time! hahahah noticing a theme here! :P

As for my entries. I am really happy to walk away with 5 demons! 3 Gold and 2 Silvers. The competition was super hard this year, and I think I was lucky to walk away with 5 thats for sure! I had 10 entries, but seriously I knew a few of them never had a chance of winning anything. But like I always said, you gotta be in it to win it! So why not. :mrgreen: And I know some of you guys have had gripe over me entering old stuff, but out of the Demons that I won, only the Diorama was old. And I feel that now it has been validated with a Demon, I want to continue with my Guard dioramas now. I know that may sound petty, but this is the first time that I have actually been inspired to start new entries from solely on winning a trophy, not an entry. So watch out, the 'Guardsmen in Trouble' is back!

And some words for some people. If I didnt give you a shout out, its not that because I dont love you! :P I just cant simply write something about everyone I chatted to over the day. :(

Sebastian: thanks for helping me out at the masterclass table I think it could have been done better, and I will make sure to tell K that. So if you have any feedback send it to me, and I can send it on to K. Also thanks for liking my Daemonette! :mrgreen: I was really thought I was onto something with the mini and thought it was one of my better entries. But it didnt stand a chance in Fantasy single with all the other extravagant models and bases.. hahaha. :P

Steve: You must come back, I am lost without you! :mrgreen:

Aidan: bro, you have progress in leaps and bounds... seriously.... I am really blown away at how far you have come since I met you in 2010 and you said to me that you just wanted to win a demon.... you almost won a sword 2 years later, not too shabby. :D Lots of discussions about demons and entries and your squad. I would hope that you could filter through all the useless crap I say and took something from the suggestions I gave you. I was dead set on trying to help you get the best out of your entry. With a tiny bit of polishing of your painting technique I think you can even be better! Anyways we will try and work on that when Uni finishes this year?

Andrew: Always good to catch up, and you always surprise me with your entries for some reason. You sort of just sneak up on GD day with a few choice entries, and win! hahaha. I loved the base on your Troll. really cool sea shells and starfish!

Nick: Good effort on your Silver. It goes to show that when you want to, you can make some amazing stuff in a short amount of time. So there is no excuses next year! :P Showdown in LotR Single again next year? We each have one Gold so far... next year will be the real decider! :twisted:

Peter: I only got to chat briefly, and wish I could have talked to you more! Congrats on the Gold! A shame I didnt get a good look at it, so please make sure to post pics when you can.

Adam: It was really great to meet you! And man you were really giving me a run for my money in the demon grabbing department! ha. :twisted: You kept saying to me, that you need to raise your standard... I disagree. You are already a very very good painter! I love your style, and I think it is great because it is definitely quite different to what most of the other Oz guys do. Obviously everyone can always work on raising their own personal standard of painting, but really dont think you are below some of the other painters here in Oz, to you are just on par with the rest of us! You had so many entries, but I think my favourite entries of yours were the Savage Orc and the Blood Angel vs Ork duel. I am keen to see what you mange to come up with for entries next year! Congrats on your wins!

Jaque: I dont think your are a member here, but if you are let it be known! I do remember you saying to me that you did read the forums, so hopefully you read this. You had such an awesome Spider Rider unit! I was so impressed with your effort for a first time entry! Sorry, when we were talking, I was under the impression that you had sat down at the masterclass to learn some painting techniques.... little did I know that you were already and amazing painter! ha. Really, I am so happy for your win. I remember yourself and your wife telling me about how long you had been working on your entry, and the troubles you had with some of them because of the varnish. I am glad you got it all sorted and finished in the end, because it was such a great outcome. Congrats!

Martin: Dude really, I loved your Diorama! It gave me many ideas for future dioramas. The paint and sculptwork on those demon guys was out of this world. If I was judging the comp, I would have give you the Gold in Dio. Like Aidan, you are a new talent to be reckoned with... and it is good to know that the GD is safe with the young talent like your coming up.

Drew: Bro, you know I love you. But come on.... you cant expect to run with the big boys and paint your entry the nigh before! :P hahah. I really thought your Theoden would have placed. It was really nice and true to the movie. Come on son, sit down for an hour a week, between now and next years GD, and you will have an awesome entry! I believe, under that fringe and that theatre kid persona, there is an amazing painter ready to be unleashed... hahaha. :P

RALPH!!!!!! It is always good to catch up with my Ralphie! :P Congrats on the Silver! I really loved the doom wheel the base was awesome, and always your little touches that really make the miniature. Also congratulations on the FW best in Show. I really doubt it was a default I am sure there were a couple of FW minis or bits floating around. Yours was just the best! And like always, talking crap with you during the day and the pub/camels at night is always entertaining! Dont ever turn into a New York painter! (inside joke) hahaha :mrgreen:

Mike: It must have been really great to get that Silver after all the hard work you put in! Like I said to you. I couldnt fault your mini. It was awesome in every way. Great Sculpt, Great Paint, Great Base. It was only from a personal preference I wasnt a fan of the colour of the armour. But seriously great work on the entry. I am really happy to see your progress from last year and your Ork unit.

Weisern: A real shame that you didnt end up with anything. Like everyone has said. The 2 singles were probably the hardest categories. If I can be frank, I dont think that having such similar styles of entries to Marks helped your chances. But I know you guys paint together, so I assume it was only natural that yours and Mark's entries ended up similar, and you both probably pushed each other into to making better entries because of this. I really liked the base on your Nurgle guy, and the colours were inventive and different also. I am sure you will keep coming up with crazy ideas and inventive entries for next year also!

Mark: And lucky last...... Mark! Congrats on the sword! To tell you the truth it came as a surprise to me. Not you winning it, but that it wasnt your Necron that won it. Personally I thought it would have beat my model, there must have been something they didnt like about it... did you get any feedback from the judges about it? But really,your Nurgle guy was great also, and a worthy winner. And like Allan had told us later that night. It is about a painting comp first and formost. and your Nurgle guy didnt have any noticeable flaws that I saw. So I guess going by that rationale, your Nurgle bloke should have won, and it did! :twisted: But for me, I loved your Necron so much! Congrats on your 3 wins and the Sword. Really great job!

BRING ON NEXT YEAR!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:31 am 

Thank you Kyle, lovely comments and an inspiration to us all I think. Love your atristic vision and passion.

I forgot to mention Glenn (Is he on Oz Painters?), it was really good to meet him. His Necromancer was supurb, very impressive.

And Ralph, great to meet you matey, you have a great sense of humour, a very funny guy as well as a very talented painter...A well deserved silver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52 am 

Thanks Kyle, that post really sums up the event in a nice way...

As for the Necron, there are some noticeable areas that are quite rough on the green work and a mold line that missed until after I looked at the mini when I got home... so they probably cost me... not that I'm unhappy about it though, quite the opposite I was very happy to get bronze! But that's what happens when painting the majority of the green work and other assorted things the day and night before GD. The decoy painting that the fluro green provides is good and it works well from photos and cursory viewing, but I think when you get a chance to examine this mini properly in your hands you'll see where I have not finished the mini as well as the Nurgle lord. Or that could just be my perfectionist vision seeing only the not so good parts...

I didn't hit the judges for feedback as I know what I have messed up on him and well... in the end it is what it is, a nice mini for my cabinet, with some flaws from rushed painting. I'm still very happy how he turned out considering he almost didn't make it to the event due to my issues painting him. I think next time I will ask judges what they liked about my entries, not why it didn't place... if it doesnt place it because its not paitned as well... obviously :D

Over all I fell incredibly lucky to win against all the other gold winning entries on the day, so many awesome minis that made me question if I was even going to place, let alone getting a gold demon or the slayer sword.

We should look at organising an Ozpainters meet in Sydney so I can see some of the other entries without my sleep deprived, over caffeinated brain causing me to trick out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next