Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:20 pm 

Ok Firstly this year was a ton of fun for me. I really had a blast of a Day, just being able to see all the great entries and chat to all the great people. It makes the event such a great time for me. So thanks all. I really appreciate the feedback from all painters as there is always something to work on and improve when painting minis and its the only way to push myself to a better understanding of how to achieve a better produced miniature.

I've received the first of many photo's from my personal photographer Weisern and I will be posting them as I can. I'll leave some place holders for the other entries as I can download the pics and make the collages for them.

I have posted the 2 singles in there own threads in the painting section.

edit: collages are getting resized in the photostorage site... individuals uploaded instead.

Warhammer Fantasy Single Miniature - Gold - http://www.coolminiornot.com/313689

Warhammer 40,000 Single miniature - Bronze - http://www.coolminiornot.com/313687

Open Category - Bronze - http://www.coolminiornot.com/313653

Last edited by agent_venom on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:23 am 

Awesome!!!

I'm not sure which is my favourite. Obviously the Nurgle dude is perfect (as proved by the winning of sword), but I think I would have to pick the Necron as being my favourite. I was just really excited to see how it turned out when I first saw you working on it, and the fact that you pulled off the base so well was really impressive. The glowing green complements and deepens the rich black and in return the black makes the green itself seem even brighter. Nice sharp work on the freehand hex pattern too.

I'm really no expert but if I could offer any feedback on improving, I think the silver parts of the model could have had a bit more work. It seems a tad flat on the surfaces and maybe it could have had a few lighter and darker parts. Just a thought... It could be just that the green has affected my eyesight :wink:

My favourite things with the Nurgle dude are:

1. The framing created by the curved tusks on the ground and the relating horns on the opposite shoulder is just mad.
2. The purple in the skin is really nice.
3. The base is obviously awesome and a really unique idea.

Your open entry is really cool especially since you didn't have much time to work on it. If you had more time it would have been nice to add a few more details to bring the world to life a bit more. Perhaps some creatures like rats in the dark or a crow watching, some more personalised debris amongst the rubble etc. I don't know if it's just me, but I really like tiny details on minis that make the world feel more lived in. The green fire/spell from the Chaos Sorcerer is cool.

As I said I think the Nurgle lord is freaken awesome but if I really had to pick between the two I think it would be the Necron. I hope my feedback is helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 am 

Thanks Mike, ans yes your feedback is appreciated and helpful, everyone's is. The only way to better myself is to listen to what others say about my work, what they like or dont like, what they think I can do to make it a more complete mini.

You have made valid points, I think that the Decoy painting on the Necron is working well and blinding you to the flaws on that mini, there are parts that are a rushed and not as smooth as the Nurgle Lord. The good thing is that he photos up so nice ... green almost always does due to the RGB nature of digital image capturing. Also the base is very unique for this figure and has a lot of different ideas put into it. Building the hex tube was actually a nice and interesting task that has made me think about things differently, specifically about basing and using negative space to create a lightness to the overall basing. The combination of the black/green glow OSL and the height of this build lend to a very impressive presence in this mini I think.

I like the Nurgle best though, its a more complete build and its more consistent, has good lines and shapes that I have been able to employ effectively I think to improve the composition of the work. Plus it was WAY less stressful to do him, it just seemed more natural for some reason (probably 'cause I didn't have to rush him to finish the night before)

Now i just have to come up with some different ideas for basing next years guys on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 pm 

Simply stunning. It's all the small details that make it on all of these entries. I didn't get to see them like this on the day I found the top down lighting was a bit harsh so all of my pics were crap, so thanks for posting these

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 pm 

After seeing your Bronzes I would love to see what took Gold against them.

Its communities like OzPainters which can be attributed to your meteoric rise in skills.

Not only that, but through helping, motivating and challenging eachother the calibre of entries in GD and other comps improves each year.

Well done Mark!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:40 pm 

hey Mark! congratulations for your work I was very impressed :D ..really deserved awards :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:38 pm 

mark i hope the base for your diorama was as much fun to build as it looks.
that is cool how it sits on the glossy base not clearly saying if water or bottomless ravine is below.
love ya work