Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Crystal Brush 2013
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:30 pm 

Ok guys, the Crystal Bursh entires are up for voting now:

http://crystalbrush.coolminiornot.com/

What are people's thoughts on the entries?

I will write a bit once I get through voting on them. (PS, I like vote very harsh on the entries, money is on the line! :P ) Only a few have really caught my attention so far!

Post subject: Re: Crystal Brush 2013
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm 

Definitely underwhelming thus far but I'm only about 20 entries in....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:52 pm 

Been looking through the entry's all are great but so far not many that are catching my eye as a great stand out in diorama cat I liked touch of death, walking dead and steamed piper of neo hamelim. Still have heaps to look over hmmmm eye candy :mrgreen: 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:02 pm 

Walking Dead is the best I think so far... but havent been looking long.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm 

Like Kyle said, big money on the line. So I am also harsh. My criteria for an awesome piece is one that is inspirational and that will stick in my mind even many years later. For me, only one piece managed to fit that criteria.

My pick is for Raffa's touch of death to win overall. It is the only entry for which I am going back to stare at the details, and am interested in various angles and aspects of the whole piece. Definitely a memorable piece, even if it did take some elements from Princess Mononoke.

Game 08 life, and Matt's steamed piper of neo hamelin are my next picks, but that's just my taste. I find Game 08 life very similar to works by Michael, and other great Italian freehand painters (can't think of exact examples at the moment), and Matt's steamed piper is similar to Arsies's Fujita's dinner(realised from someone else's artwork).

walking dead as mentioned before is also nice.

so high, is nice, but I'm not a fan of the big base to the smaller figure.

Both Conrad's barbarian dude and colossus have been washed out (pictures are unfortunately overexposed).

Apart from emaculate freehand, smooth and neat work, final charge has nothing memorable for me, that will stick with my mind years later. But that's just my taste. It still took the artist a lot of effort and time, and hopefully others will appreciate it more than I.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 pm 

Ok, so I voted on every miniature! :roll:

I handed out only four 10's, to Walking Dead, Game 0f Life, Touch of Death and The Final Charge

There were a few more that I could see myself giving 10's to, but restrained myself. I think the 'Walking Dead' as the real stand out for me. Amazing painting and scene, and the ever so popular zombies being a theme will be a hit with people I reckon.

I did like 'Touch of Death', but I find that a lot of the ideas seem to be a remix of other famous minis. I get a 'Gea' (last years winner) feeling to it, combined with the French Slayer Sword winning Giant, and of course the David and Goliath theme to it. Dont get me wrong, its great, but I personally dont find it original enough to be the winner.

'Game of Life' has obvious influences of the World Expo winner, and it some great choice of colours and freehand. Anyone know who did it? Ben Komets? Rusto?

As for the 'Final Charge', I think it is amazing freehand, and the base is against the norm which is what I like, not a desolate ruined earth, but beautiful nature, its cool. I like it because it is such a different entry to the other, what I would call Massive Voodoo inspired entries, that are at the top of the bunch of minis.

As for the rest of the entries. Conrad's entries are great, I would be surprised if he didnt come home with some category awards! Dave Taylor's Marines and Mechanicus are decent, and James Wappel (sp?) always does some nice work.

Although, there are a LOT of underwhelming entries. It is really weird to see this vast distinction between the top entries and the rest. It is interesting, because a lot of comps, like GD for example 70% of the entries are of the same decent could almost win standard, then there are a few standouts and a few lower quality entries, but with Crystal Brush there seems to be super amazing and then pretty average entries. Sorry if that sound harsh, but thats my personal observation the comp, from the last 3 years of looking at entries.

Anyways my pick for the winners.

1st - Walking Dead
2nd - Game of Life
3rd - Touch of Death

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:59 pm 

I agree totally Kyle, after looking at the entries they are the real stand outs for me as well. Some really nice work in there but they are few and far between this year. I look forward to seeing the final results.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:45 pm 

Hmm, Kyle, I think you may be right.

Afterall, "dance morko dance" was big and impressive and technically well painted etc, but still lost out to Marike's single fig. So, the cards may fall in favour of technical excellence, which 'walking dead' and 'game of life' certainly has.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:03 pm 

Also, dont you think it may be seen as favouritism if Raffa wins the top prize whilst Roman is the head judge? I am sure the both are the most honourable of guys and there is no way that Roman would not choose what he felt was indeed the best mini in the comp, but I cant help but think there might be a negative reception to the win if that turns out to be the case.... just my thoughts...

Also, I read on the French fourms that 'Game of Life' was done by Jeremie BT.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am 

Wow, that was quick! The winners have been anounced alreday!

Jeremie Bonamant Teboul won the top prize with 'Game of Life'

http://crystalbrush.coolminiornot.com/cbwinners

Also Congratulations to Conrad for picking up some awards, and to Wendy, who I think won in the Historical category if i am not mistaken?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:28 am 

Well, I screwed up. I only managed to vote on about half of them before I went to bed, and thought I could still vote through for a while today. Congrats to the winners though. There were some impressive entries there, but at the same time there were a lot of things I was scoring more towards army level models than comp winning models. For a painting comp, there also seemed to be a lot of models with gaps, drybrush marks in bases etc which killed it for me. Having said that, the higher end of the comp was really fantastic. Neo Piper of Hamelin was my favourite. Tiny mechanical rats!

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:33 am 

Thanks Kyle, I did indeed pick up a couple of nice glass trophies.

With regards to the overall quality, I think this is very much still a growing competition. There were 220+ entries this year, up from 120+ last year. And I think the number of quality pieces is growing and hopefully with exposure to the event and the sessions run throught the 3 days the quality of entries will continue to improve, moving some of that good table top standard to real display pieces.

And apparantly Roman didn't even see Raffa's piece till he did the judging, he spent 2 days avoiding the cabinent so he wouldn't see anything till he started judging :)

I posted a few pics over on PB as I could upload pics to the site. Not the greatest but might give you a different view of some of the pieces. Sorry for not posting a link earlier, my bad.
http://platoonbritannica.com/index.php? ... pics.2744/

My CMoN Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm 

Well it's all a blur. Yes, I got the bronze in historical. I'm happy with that - and congrats to Conrad on his luggage challenge. :D I'll be posting pics of the marine and Kreimheld's Revenge here (well, in the appropriate topic area)...I have three weeks till Valley Forge show to tweak them and all input is most welcome. Yeah, I finished the two Friday morning... :roll: I didn't even get to see the pics for voting. How were the pics overall? I heard some rumblings about some pieces getting better angles than others. Any thoughts?

As for the show overall, yes, there is a wide disparity in quality. There are the top painters, mostly from across the pond and at the other end, wargamers don't have to pay any extra to enter since it's covered with their Adepticon badge, so they figure why not enter? (Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine and some of them have some rather nice entries, actually, for minis meant to be played with - and I hope that doesn't come across as snobby, it's not meant to.) It seems there's some gap in the middle though, quality-wise. And some categories are tougher than others. I don't know if the better North American painters figure they can't win top three because of the Europeans winning the free trips over so it's not worth even coming? Of course, it didn't help that Reaper Con was the same weekend either. I was happy to see the shelves fill up by Saturday. They were a bit sparse on Friday when I got there. I do wish there was something for painters to do (besides shop and painting classes). Just a table to paint at or hang out would be cool. Or something to attract the more mid-range painter. It was just a little odd, because I knew more painters from across the pond than from North America at this show. As it was, my nephew had a hockey tourney 15 minutes away, so I didn't spend as much time there as I normally do at an all weekend show - mostly because there wasn't much to do...

It was neat. The hotel and venue are nice. I'm not sure if I'll make it a yearly thing though...

And, they really could easily get away with making the crystal brush trophy thingies smaller...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:35 pm 

Well, I spent a lot of time voting on these and got through them all ... eventually ...

Of the 3 that won, they are the stand out entries for me. None of the others are that interesting, the chicken rider is ok, its got a very saturated world of warcraft look that both works for it and against it. I think that the base is a nice change up like Kyle said but its too flat and lacks interest for me. But that's what gives it that World of Warcraft look that makes the mini pleasing. So its a piece of contradictions for me. The freehand is great, but overdone on this mini and the NMM are close but not quite contrasty enough for me, I would have preferred true metals. But that's just a taste thing against NMM that's not perfect.

I would have placed the top 3 as... These are my thoughts and personal feelings about each piece based on what I like.

1 - Touch of Death
2 - Walking Dead
3 - Game of Life

I would do this for a few reasons and tastes that I have in minis.

I think that technique wise the Walking Dead one is the most well painted, but its also just a repaint of the box art for the mini... so I was a little under whelmed by that. I would have also like to have him looking at the zombie that's about to gouge him and aiming a gun at her face or reaching for his pistol.... not looking into the distance disconnected from the scene. I'd also put him on the roof of the car and remove the 'crashed into the wall' thing, as to me the wall removes the nice silhouette that he would have if the main fig was the highest centre piece. So a few things in the composition layout for me lower my interest in the scene even with the excellent painting. I still viewed this one for a few minutes as its pretty damn good and pleasing to look at. I do feel that the wall and the front view is a very deliberate thing and if you look at it from the front its the strongest view point, as it lines up nice that way like its a War-Z poster and has some spotlighting on the wall behind him. I would just have done the scene a little differently.

Game of life of takes the 3rd place over the freehand chicken rider, purely for its sculpting. But its also a double edged sword, as it makes it confusing to look at and creates a lack of focus and direction for me. The dark painting that seems to blend all together with the base and horse and rider that causes it to grey out for me and a large wall blocking out any interesting silhouette that it may have had and takes away from all the interesting shape in the mini, hiding all the cool sculpted feathers and details on the horse and rider, why add all that work in only to hide it with dark painting and a wall behind the mini so you lose the silhouette?. The banner freehand looks funny with the large oversized skull that makes it look clunky in design, I don't like that banner at all. Compositionally there is not a lot going on, the pose is awkward and the bony face with lips? Just doesn't hit the spot. There is nothing memorable for me on this figure. Its just a very dark paint job from base to mini that to me lacks some focus. There is some great execution, but it just lacks in mood, scene and viewing interest for me. It is just not my thing, but hey, it won the big money prize! So it's hit the majorities nerdgasm buttons.

My favourite is Touch of Death, probably no surprise here hey! haha here's why though... Firstly there is a nice silhouette on the piece, that makes it stand out amongst the other 2 straight away. It allows me to view and explore the work instead of box me into one forced scene. It allows me to imagine that there is more outside of the scene with the organic shape and lines that the silhouette makes. There is good connection between the 2 combatants in this scene that the Walking Dead one misses and it has some dynamic movement to it. The death touch effect is rather nice and adds a great touch to the palette. Its lighter paint job allows for easier viewing and there are lots of interesting bits to the basing and main figures, like the dear at the back near the foot, its a nice touch. I would have liked to see some stronger highlights on the head of the beast and the elf chick so they really stood out though. At the moment in the pics they are lost a little in the foliage. This piece has viewing from all angles, where the other two are only strong from front on which makes it instantly more interesting to look at and more enjoyable as there is more to explore in the work. I think that this one is the strongest compositionally over the other two.