Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:34 pm 

Arjay: GW Oz, were made aware of these pictures of the dreadnought well before they released the pictures and results.

I really don't know what to make of the whole thing. I guess in this case it truly is "Innocent until proven guilty". It is just many people's words, and pretty solid evidence of cheating, against one single person's word. Which he claims he has painted the 3 entries himself, and copied the exact paintjob from the dreadnought he commissioned from Bohun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:36 pm 

WOW! He even managed to have the same faults on the edge of the base - stunning! :shock:
What a toss-bag.

Nuff said. Moving on. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:42 pm 

Moral of the story - when doing commission pieces, take WIPs WITH YOU IN THE BACKGROUND and keep them. Makes this sort of thing easier to prove.

Congrats to all the winners from OzPainters and beyond. Despite this crapstorm I'll be in it next year. Just need to find a way to get through the store round first... :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:59 pm 

Holy crap is that obvious- I hadnt seen pictures of the original before now. No question it is the same miniature, nobody could believe he "copied" that. I suppose he could always claim he accidently destroyed the original (idiot). In this case I really feel sorry most for the people who entered in the same categories- you guys are the people who should feel the most anger/ mistreated over the whole affair.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:41 pm 

I guess when organising a painting competition nobody envisions having to confront alleged cheats so I can see why they are reticent to do anything about it. Not something I'd want to do especially given how easily things can escalate even with something like this. They do have to consider the fact though that allowing something like this to go might cause a good number of people to think twice about entering in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:48 pm 

Ok - so the photo's prove that entry is Bohun's - BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TWO OTHER ENTRIES!!!

Are GW's eyes painted on?

Why are these two entries not also disqualified? I'll ask the same question again as I did earlier and point out the same things again = if I can spot these discrepencies from photo's and I wasn't even there, how is it that a panel of judges who sat there and scritunised the miniatures in question with their very own eyes not see it?

The duel had two very distinctly different painting styles applied to it, one vastly superior to the other. This in itself should have been enough to remove the entry from consideration - Kyle has said himself that the judges look for consistency in painting when looking at duel/diorama entries and that entry was anything but consistent.

The Dark Angel Terminator had an awesome paint job and a utter NOOB conversion on it - again - in my eyes at least, the conversion was bad enough to have actually removed it from consideration, but given that it, the dread and the duel were all entered by the same person should leave no doubt about what needs to happen with the awarded demons.

Someone at GW needs to seriously grow a set of balls and make it right, once and for all.

We all know that there are a number of GW employees who frequent this site - c'mon guys, why isn't this being taken further? I can understand the corporate line of public silence (I work for a much bigger company myself with corporate policy and procedures) but surely actions speak louder than words in any case?

Obviously this doesn't affect me or my placings etc - as I didn't enter this year - but after having supported the competition for the last 12 or so years, I think I and every other painter here - have a vested interest in seeing the right outcome and this sort of crap nipped in the bud.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/wereweevil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:58 pm 

Mousemuffins wrote:
Wow. Our entrant is clearly one of the greatest forgers/ copy artists ever. Awesome. Thanks for that, There's now absolutely no doubt.

Yet apparently not as great at FRAUD...

This whole situation I find disgusting, we're a pretty close community who encourages and helps young painters into the scene, to have this guy do this is just foul.

While the Dreadnought in question was based on Bohun's painting style, and a tuition and feed back was given by him, it was not painted by Bohun.
from everything I have heard, this is NOT GW's finding. They simply lacked the evidence to prove that the other two entries were fraudulent as well, even though they look so blatantly obvious to all of us (including GW staff), the feel of the post by "inTheKnow" sums up their position pretty well, without proof GW could find themselves facing a legal suit for slander, the guy's already proven he's a cheat and a liar after all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:53 am 

I am still shocked by the results from demon this year and the way that the whole scandal has been dealt with. I've spent years looking at the amazing stuff that guys from this forum have put up at demon and rightfully won trophies with. I have dreamt of being able to paint something one day that would be worthy of even a finalist pin, let alone win a trophy. The fact that GW didn't take more swift and stern action just cheapens the whole competition. I also want to thank both Kyle and Seb for the work that you guys put in not only chasing up leads on this issue. I'm sure you guys didn't get enough recognition of the hard work you put in, especially when I imagine you had other things you could have been working on.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:04 pm 

Out of curiosity, have all past GD's had the same setup with the entries placed on the table, with the barrier 30cm away from it? (This was my first GD so I'm not sure)

The reason I ask is that there was a girl that actually leaned across and picked my stormbosses up! Not even the judges wanted to pick them up, and made me move it around for them because I had forgotten to blu-tac them into the display base. I spent the rest of the day guarding all the entries :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:46 pm 

At previous Games Days I think this has been the case. The last couple of years they have been in locked display cabients so you could have a close look without touching.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:04 pm 

hmm well not much we can do about this now, i did laugh at how the chest of colours thread is calling "in the know" out. the offender or g.w. p.r. man?
http://chestofcolors.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4&start=50

The Dark Angel Terminator had an awesome paint job and a utter NOOB conversion on it - again - in my eyes at least, the conversion was bad enough to have actually removed it from consideration, but given that it, the dread and the duel were all entered by the same person should leave no doubt about what needs to happen with the awarded demons.

i disagree with the comment of the conversion being rubbish, it's the basing that is fishy to me.
the terminator if it were on a flat base would work well in that position, instead he is going for a power face sit on the chaos marines face.
has the model been amateurishly put on a base that the creator couldn't get to match?

i laughed when i heard this topic called by a mate "everybody hates Raymond" but that's not fair to Gerard.

i'm sure at next years demon we will possibly question the models we don't recognize from the threads here and ask quietly "fake? plagiarism? "
which is a sad thing. i initially wondered if others had the skill and keen eye to notice something questionable on the day but it's good to see as a community we are global, and these things are hard to pull off.
in the end it means we all need to pull our fingers out, Australia has put out some shit hot dioramas, better than that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:29 pm 

RALPH wrote:
... i laughed when i heard this topic called by a mate "everybody hates Raymond" ...

I didn't enter in those affected categories, and I am still angry at Raymond Barbulescu's actions.

When I was studying the dreadnought at GD, assuming it was a veteran painter, I was guessing that it might be Rachel Borthwick's work. I plan to be vigilant next year at the regionals to weed out potential frauds. Hope some people in the other states will do likewise. Keeping in mind to be tactful to so as not to alienate new painters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:31 pm 

ingrammike wrote:
Out of curiosity, have all past GD's had the same setup with the entries placed on the table, with the barrier 30cm away from it? (This was my first GD so I'm not sure)

The reason I ask is that there was a girl that actually leaned across and picked my stormbosses up! Not even the judges wanted to pick them up, and made me move it around for them because I had forgotten to blu-tac them into the display base. I spent the rest of the day guarding all the entries :)

I'm not sure how it was run at Games Days previous to this one, but I think that the only entries like this previously were the Open entries (Due to size), however there was usually a GW staffer near enough to keep a close eye on those. This year seemed to be where a level of trust was employed (And to the credit of people there, I don't think that anything got damaged or anyone else had their stuff noticeably touched), but it did seem a bit strange to me. Maybe they need some signs saying 'DO NOT TOUCH THE MODELS' next year just to make it clear.

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:01 pm 

Turelio wrote:
ingrammike wrote:
I'm not sure how it was run at Games Days previous to this one, but I think that the only entries like this previously were the Open entries (Due to size), however there was usually a GW staffer near enough to keep a close eye on those. This year seemed to be where a level of trust was employed (And to the credit of people there, I don't think that anything got damaged or anyone else had their stuff noticeably touched), but it did seem a bit strange to me. Maybe they need some signs saying 'DO NOT TOUCH THE MODELS' next year just to make it clear.

the first ones (Games Days) were similar, a clear barrier, but they were all out on tables. they did have signs saying don't touch though (from memory back that far) I remember standing there watching models pulled out by judges as cuts were made .. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:41 pm 

weisern wrote:
RALPH wrote:
... i laughed when i heard this topic called by a mate "everybody hates Raymond" ...

I didn't enter in those affected categories, and I am still angry at Raymond Barbulescu's actions.

When I was studying the dreadnought at GD, assuming it was a veteran painter, I was guessing that it might be Rachel Borthwick's work. I plan to be vigilant next year at the regionals to weed out potential frauds. Hope some people in the other states will do likewise. Keeping in mind to be tactful to so as not to alienate new painters.

I didn't enter in GD at all and I am offended. Hi all, I'm new to Oz Painters, but not new to Raymond. I used to me "mates" with this guy. That was until he was caught cheating at tournaments with loaded dice. The same dice he used against me in friendly matches, at my house, while drinking my beers.
I was involved in catching him out with the dice as well as catching him out with the Golden Demon issues. For ages Ray used to send me photos of models that he had supposedly painted. When this all came out I provided photos which he sent me, which were found on places such as cool mini or not as well as bohun's galeria (some of which you have already seen). he didn't even take the photos, he just sent me the photos that the actual painter had taken. Here is an example.

He claimed he painted a ravenwing bike, this is the image I received from him:

This is the one I found on Bohun's Galeria:

I have circled a bit which makes it pretty clear that this is the exact same image (besides the angel, lighting and clearly identicle model)

so make sure you know, that there is no doubt that this guy cheated, and it is apauling that he was allowed to keep the other 2 entries. When I emailed GW this is the response I got

Quote:
Firstly I would say thank you for taking the time to send through your email.
We appreciate feedback both positive and negative and value the opportunity to improve the service we deliver to the hobby community.

Games Workshop has investigated this issue and acted within the bounds of Company policy, terms and conditions of the event and the Law.
As such we can not comment on any additional measures in regards to this matter.

Once again I would like to thank you for your valued feedback.

just wanted to make sure people have as much info as possible, I am furiouse that this guy got away with this without any public notification from GW, it is clear that they just don't care

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next