Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:07 pm 

Well, I emailed GW for clarification on the Events. I want to know what is going on either way... old Oz system, no competition or whatever is going on....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:07 pm 

@ Angora

Keen for Little Wars- just let me know the dates and any category information would be great.

Pity about the Demons but I cant say that I am totally surprised. The company decisions have been "interesting" for a while now.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm 

OK everyone, Little Wars is off as well, BUT, the Ozpainters Open is still on, just at a different venue, still to be announced, but will more than likely be Realm Of Legends at this point.
Watch this space.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm 

Gonzoangel wrote:
OK everyone, Little Wars is off as well, BUT, the Ozpainters Open is still on, just at a different venue, still to be announced, but will more than likely be Realm Of Legends at this point.
Watch this space.

YAY there with bells on

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 pm 

Ok guys this is the message I received this afternoon on FB just thought I would share

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 pm 

Come on everyone, its just a year off. :D Seriously, I'm looking at this from a really positive view.

How many of you would have been strapped for time to finish all the entries you would have wanted to do by September this year anyway?

For me, its always been an issue to allocate time to work on display pieces, particular if its a GD year, nothing else gets done. All the other cool minis I've collected gets put aside for a GD season / year. This year, I was not going to enter at all due to time issues, and was convinced to paint just one entry. Now I'll have more than a year to finish this one entry, plus some others next year.

If everyone plodded along studiously, by Sept 2014, the number of great entries should be heaps more than 2012.

So, that's a year and 7 months to paint GD stuff, AND paint other stuff to, relax / take a break / switch back and forth, from GD stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:54 pm 

Seems a bit strange that GD's worldwide are being cancelled/put off for whatever reason. I certainly don't believe it's a venue issue with the Aus one, too much of a coincidence in my book and I don't believe in coincidences. I think there's a helluva lot more to this than we realise, hopefully for the better, .......or is it just my suspicious mind working overtime??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:12 pm 

Yeah I dont believe that all of a sudden that all of the GDs around the world have stopped running, and here in Oz we get the old 'Problems with the venue', so there are problems with the venue in Spain and France as well? It seems like a pretty odd coincidence that all of them got cancelled.

And plus, like I said there is really no excuses for this staffing issue if they go back to the way the GD was before. It was in a GW store! However, I dont really like the old GD system, I prefer a Games Day, but it is better then nothing.

Lets be truthful... there is no event that we have here in Oz that even comes close to Golden Demon. We need an alternative with the same sort of prestige or we need Golden Demon. At the moment we cant vote with out feet. We just have to sit around and not have any comp to work towards this year... that is a bit sad. Yes I know there are smaller comps like Little Wars, etc. But we need something big with the same sort of resonance to really be here in Oz. If you think about WargamerAU, when the new Warhammer 8th rules came out and pretty much all the top tournie people switched to Warmachine... at least there was an alternative of the same size for those guys. Us painters, dont have an alternative at the moment that shares the same sort of excitement for Australia. I think we either need that, or we need to try and make Golden Demon work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 pm 

Who among you would stop doing your GD entries right now, until you got official word from GW that demons is cancelled for 2013?

Who among you would stop doing your GD entries right now, regardless of what official news comes out later?

and lastly,
who among you will keep progressing on your GD projects, regardless of whether demons are on this year or not?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:09 pm 

I wasn't planning on doing anything for GD, Weisern :). I never do :).

But since you put it that way ...

I'll have to see if I can put up a piece for 2014. Have humour pieces ever had any luck in GD? I've got this great image in my head of Chaos Marines bickering over the last piece of a dying Imperial Fist.

"Who gets to kill him?!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 pm 

I have an entry ready to be painted, and I will start it, but I know I will have no desire to finish it any time soon if there is no deadline to work towards... so it will probably just sit in a state of like 70% done until it can be entered into something.

But, yes. For me if there is no GD deadline to motivate me, I will probably just go and paint all the other no GW minis I have accumulated over the years. And then come back to some GD entries when I know I can work towards entering them into some sort of GD comp.

Hmm... maybe I might have to go to GD North America this year, if there is not going to be any GD's except for UK and US.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:24 pm 

I'll be plodding along on my 1 entry, regardless of what is officially announced for 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:34 pm 

Disappointed yes but my painting has got better in the last 12 months and maybe it will get better in another 12 months. Entries already started and will just keep going and just enter all other painting comps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:48 pm 

weisern wrote:
I'll be plodding along on my 1 entry, regardless of what is officially announced for 2013.

Yeah I'm with Weisern on this one what happens happens and I need as much time as I can get :lol:
If we don't have gd this year their is heaps of other companies minis I want to paint.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 pm 

If they have a national competition like they do in those European countries, those Games Workshop-endorsed national comps I'd be happy with that; GD or the GW National competition is now the only thing that really gets me back into the hobby every year; As long as they replace it this year, and it's back next year I'd be happy.

Dances are an important ingredient in painting for GD.

I'll accept that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next