Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:57 pm 

Well I am not going to stop work... but I'm going to slow down and make steady progress... Hey I might try to paint a whole range of stuff now. Like Zara, who had taken a back seat so i could prep GD minis.

It also allows me to perfect my base and mini build and paint for the 2014 GD... or whatever goes ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:22 am 

I'm all for supporting whatever comp GW can come up with. Lets show them that we, as a community, want a painting comp.
Sure it's not the Demons but I know the guy who's organising it is passionate about quality painting and if he's going to the extra effort to get something up and running I think we should get behind him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:47 pm 

Boo-urns.

I entered 2010 and 2011 when it was the old enter-in-store format. When it switched to enter on the day last year I couldn't make it due to financial constraints but had already started planning a trip over the ditch this year. Pretty gutted to be honest, if indeed it is true that GD isn't going ahead this year.

:(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 pm 

I don't think anyone should kid themselves and not think the sole reason behind it (being cancelled) is because the event always runs at a loss - irrespective of the country of origin.

Ironically, the cost of running the event 'as it was' (by having the regionals etc and finals at a store) might have been one way of NOT having a large loss for the event as it didn't require massive costs like insurance, pavilions, 100's of staff - even if they were only paid in miniatures - they still had to fly them there etc and all the myriad of other costs...

I must say I'm kind of relieved in a way - as I no longer feel I'm 'missing out' by not being able to attend...

that said, it will be a shame to miss out on seeing the entries from everyone else as I have come to look forward to seeing all the new stuff each year, from both the newcomers and old stalwarts.

*edited - mainly for spelling*

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/wereweevil

Last edited by wereweevil on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm 

I like Weisern am looking at the positive side of a potenttial cancelled games day an GD
this will give me some more time to increase my painting skills and enter with a piece i would be happy with
i was working on something for this year but wasnt to happy with how it was going i guess now i could slow down and learn to be more patient.
i will however miss the GD entries for what would be an awesome contest for 2013 as i have been to the past 2 games days an seen a massive jump in both entry an quality of minis.
with the likes of many of you guys here pushing eachother to perfection im looking forward to entrence for next year my hope is we can manage to enter more than one.
call me greedy but with a year missed ill attempt to go for two entrants at least that is provided there isnt a hybrid type of contest for this year.
still looking ahead there are a number of comps dotted about the calender for 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 pm 

Quote:
I'm all for supporting whatever comp GW can come up with. Lets show them that we, as a community, want a painting comp.

Hear hear! I'd love a comp, not sure if I can afford the trip up though, we'll see... I'll paint something for sure though, if nothing else then to enter next year, if they don't continue to have "venue issues" worldwide of course.. :lol:

Personally I preferred the old format, Games Day is nice and all but my interest in GW games has been less and less for years now and I haven't played a single GW game for quite some time now. I liked having everyone at the event there to see top class minis and talk painting rather than be lost in a sea of kids bustling around games tables.

Who thinks that the "venue issues" world wide might be that no one got the order to book them? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 pm 

Telstar0101 wrote:

Who thinks that the "venue issues" world wide might be that no one got the order to book them? :roll:

I'm in agreement with Marcus here, I think it all boils down to cost.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:18 am 

I don't think venue had much to do with it by the sound of the response I got. I think it's more a staffing thing or a change in the style of Games Day/Golden Demon that just made this year awkward.

A nice bit of info to do with the possible new comp for this year as it's not the Golden Demons:
Quote:
This has the positive also that we'll be able to do some odd things like Lost Demon again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm 

If that's the issue it seems a severe case of bad timing if they've all of a sudden decided that all GD's around the world need to be revamped. I don't know, I'm very sceptical about all this and the more GW stay silent about it, the worse they look in the eyes of people worldwide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm 

*Speculation*

It may well be that the reason some have been cancelled and others not are simply the ones that were making a profit were allowed to continue to hold an event and those that didn't were cancelled - or simply that contracts had been signed which were unable to be rescinded with venue bookings and other things that couldn;t be cancelled.

I would expect that the UK GD would never be cancelled as it is supposed to their flagship event - despite the fact that it never makes a profit and it is factored into their budget each year, plus it is the 'home' event.

Regardless, if the guys at GW Oz are trying to do something in the interim, good on them for trying and hopefully it works out as a stop-gp measure, but let's face it, most people who enter GD and are serious about it, would consider the time and effort involved in producing a top notch entry would feel a 'stop-gap event' a little unworthy of the effort (or is it just me...?).

and also - it will give the other independant events (such as Little Wars etc) a chance to get a bit more of a foothold for future events.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/wereweevil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:06 pm 

I'll through in my thoughts on the matter so far, mainly addressing what has been said by others so far:

1) If it is cancelled, it honestly doesn't affect me. I wasn't planning on doing much serious painting this year, let alone demons. A few weeks out from the comp last year I almost quit painting altogether, and when I decided that I would enter, I spent close to two weeks at my painting desk for at least eight hours a day working on my entry. I put myself under a lot of stress last year around that time, and when I decided not to do it this year it was a big relief. I'm still unsure about entering other comps as well at this point.

2) For those of you that mentioned going back to the old format, I can see a problem that was different to previous times they ran it in the stores, and that is the current state of the stores at the moment. Previous years when they did a round of GD, that was one staff members job for pretty much the entire day. If they are in one man stores, it means they are either dividing their time between doing the judging and the regular work (And lets face it, those days can get busy), or they need new staff members to handle the event in each store on the day. I know of very few stores operating on more than one staff member at the moment.

3) The prestige and scale that is afforded to GD - why? I really would like an answer to this from people: what makes it so special? It's a large event, but can every single person here say that it is a perfect event? Every year it seems to me that there are people complaining about the lack of rules before their release (IE, they aren't giving us enough time), then complaining about them when they are released (Dropped categories, unclear rules, strange restrictions) and there is always the on the day mutters of why certain models should or shouldn't get through. And I will admit that I am guilty of every one of these. At the end of the day, are people flocking to it because it is one of the first painting comps they remember from when they first got into the hobby? What is to stop some other event becoming prestige within Australia?

Malifaux Henchman - "It's a game I play with models I paint and... Well, have you ever wondered what an eight foot tall angry teddy bear can do to a half-man, half-spider-robot? 'Cause I found out the other day..."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:51 pm 

Turelio wrote:
What is to stop some other event becoming prestige within Australia?

I think the only thing stopping the other events that are already running becoming one of the top events in the Southern Hempisphere is simply support.

Everyone is talking about GD being cancelled meaning either no painting this year or taking it slow & entering GD next year. What if we all throw our support behind the events that are already running and have proven themselves? Oz Painters Open in VIC & MOAB in SYD, I'm sure there are others as well.

How about putting all the work you would normally put into a GD entry into an entry for one of these events? I know that the standard at Oz Painters Open is already incredibly high, and I'm sure MOAB is equally high. If there were all the entries that everyone was planning for this year's GD entered into the existing events they would quickly become top events.

~ Maria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:40 pm 

A bit more speculation

http://masterminis.blogspot.com.au/2013 ... d-set.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm 

I am so confused!!!!!

I went into my local Games Workshop (GW Bondi) on the weekend to check out the new Daemon releases. I picked up their monthly flyer, and there it was.....

The staffer didn't know anything about Games Day and if it was running this year, but said that Armies on Parade was running 100% this year and that Golden Demon seemed to be also.

Obviously it could just be that the staff member may just not be informed of what is going on this year. But I know that staff can get in trouble for mis-advertising an event or product, (like when a few of stores were saying that the Dark Vengeance Limited Box was already sold out from pre-orders in Germany, to drum up extra sales here in Oz, which turned out to be false.) So I am sure that advertising Golden Demon in the monthly flyer holds some weight... but maybe it wont be the Golden Demon but this supposed other painting comp that is happening..... anyways always take the info with a grain of salt! :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 pm 

Even more reason for GW to come out and explain what's happening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next