Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:53 pm 

Well this does not bode well for the moment anyway. I have to say first of all that GD was the thing that really to have a go at painting miniatures properly and I still remember the highs at winning my first, with people like Heath and Laurie Goodridge really encouraging me to attend Sydney way back when and I cant thank them enough for persuading me to go to Sydney. I have always found the guys in the shops helpful and the painting community first class in this country. I have made some great friends over the years and learnt so much from other great painters; Sebastian gets special mention here as I think we can all agree that he has been an outstanding source of knowledge and an incredibly talented individual. Everybody should have the opportunity to feel like this and it is great shame it is not happening this year.

Onto something not so glorious and my current thoughts- GW has been screwing over it staff, gaming and painting community for a while now, well imo. I have to agree with you Kyle in that it hasn’t been easy for the guys on the ground in this country. They really have no control over pricing and current decisions etc and they have their jobs at stake which is no small thing. Now don’t me wrong I have always liked what GW have produced in the past and can remember when we had our WD mags with articles written by locals- great times. It just seems to me that the company and the consumer are now 2 huge separate entities that gamers now really only exist as the bottom of a balance sheet. The last company that made this type of mistake I think was Confrontation when they went to ppp- a decision based I think on a bottom line and had nothing to do what so ever with listening to the consumers. I believe GW hasn’t gone that far but I have say give it time and few other great decisions and things don’t bode well. Hopefully things are fixed up by 2014.

Now onto local competitions- I fully support these, but I think my perspective is slightly different than some of you guys. The main reason has a lot to do with working in isolation, I am restricted by what I can do to help in the painting community but I do enjoy a get together and that is what I see a painting comp as. I wish a lot of time I could attend and share ideas. That to me is more important to me than anything else. So I disappointed GD is not going ahead but I am still going to paint and hopefully send entries or attend such event as MOAB and Little Wars.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 am 

Arithon wrote:
I am still going to paint and hopefully send entries or attend such event as MOAB and Little Wars.

Great post Jamie and we thank you for your support of the Painting Comp. It's not taking place at Little Wars this year though - we are holding it at Realm of Legends again. We are still working on the exact format of the day but we shall let y'all know soon what's happening. Rest assured there will be some cool minis to look at and plenty of hobby and gaming goodness... :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:19 pm 

When is Little Wars on?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 pm 

Not entirely sure as the location has been changed to Mornington High School. Try the Little Wars website.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:06 pm 

Little wars is late may - 25th I think...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm 

25th of May at this stage for Little Wars, and it's in Mornington.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:04 pm 

Ozpainters contest is on?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 pm 

Oh YES!

More info to come soon, keep on your toes, and keep painting it will be bigger and better than ever before.

YAY!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:52 am 

Hi guys just had a look GW sight this morning and everything to do with GD has been removed even previous years results. The only thing that is there an icon for armies on parade 2013 icon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:50 am 

Yeah cool... so its dead... OK. thanks Games Workshop for telling us. Plus thanks to all your store workers who flat out lied to our faces when some of us asked if Golden Demon was running this year.... :roll: Cheers... :|

Hey here is a thought... nowhere does it saw that you need to be the only person to work on an Armies on Parade entry... maybe we could all contribute to an Armies on Parade entry? I doubt with all our talent in one entry, we wouldnt win? Plus if we go on forums and show people what we are doing and why, because Golden Demon go cancelled. I am sure we would get lots of 'friend' votes from fellow veteran gamers sympathetic with our situation... hahah just a thought. :P

EDIT: We could always do it for charity and sell it afterwards... I am pretty sure it would go for a good price, if it has multiple Golden Demon winners painting every model.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 am 

Only thing I dont understand is the removal of all previous years entries ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 am 

Great idea Kyle...

Sick of this GW nonesense...

Come up with an army to paint and we can all paint 1 or 2 models...bound to win!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am 

How about we don't do an Armies on Parade entry?. How about we tell them to stick it up their clacker? Why the hell should we support this given what has happened to Gamesday this year and in particular the way in which they've handled it............by telling us NOTHING!

I'll be discouraging anyone I come across from entering and suggest they give this a big miss. Sod 'em

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 am 

I think we should arrange our own 'golden demon' competiton - 'the alternative GD's'...

Get our own trophy's made and sword and do it properly...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 am 

Amytornis wrote:
How about we don't do an Armies on Parade entry?. How about we tell them to stick it up their clacker? Why the hell should we support this given what has happened to Gamesday this year and in particular the way in which they've handled it............by telling us NOTHING!

I'll be discouraging anyone I come across from entering and suggest they give this a big miss. Sod 'em

THIS!

How about everyone puts their efforts into supporting local painting comps and raise the bar there instead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next