Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:12 pm 

Now that the judging is over I am proud to show pics of my 2 entries for this year's Golden Demon competition. Congratulations to all the winners. The first image has a smaller picture which is close to the actual scale of the miniature (at least it is on my monitor).
Below is a comparision shot of my old, unmodified suit next to my new one.

I actually remembered to take WIP shots this year. Hopefully it gives a better idea of the conversion work I undertook. I trimmed and filed just about every part to more closely match the taller and sleeker suits depicted in the GW illustrations. I used plasticard (white) to extend limbs and change some of the details. Greenstuff was used in a couple of areas to fill gaps and make panel lines a bit thinner.

And finally an alternate pose I considered doing.

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:25 pm 

Beautiful - just beatiful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:57 pm 

I didn't realise it was converted until someone said it was, the sign of a great conversion. Nice paint job too :)

Automaton: those painted pics on the (Heroquest) box were awesome! I looked at them as virtually an unattainable goal in painting, haha...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:10 pm 

Fantastic model Luke, glad I got to see it up close. I knew this was a converted model, but now I can see that it was more extensive than I noticed, I don't think I could've ever picked up on the extended legs. Flawless work.
By the way, was it this model that won the sword, or was it the Eldar model? Either way, congratulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:43 pm 

Appreciate the complements guys. Yeah, Lex, the battlesuit won the slayer sword. I'm very lucky. I was told that the judging for the sword was extremely difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:26 pm 

Well done Luke - congrats on your wins and the sword, outstanding result :)

I like this guy (so did the judges obviously) but I was a little surprised when the pics finally loaded up. After last years Eldar, I was thinking there might be some more awesome freehand to be done on your entries, but this seems like a bit of a throwback to your entries 3 or 4 years ago where they were quite simple and unassuming, but very cleanly painted. This obviously has been 'dirtied' up somewhat with the battle damage, but it still seems very clean.
I think a more elaborate base would definately add to it - although I realise part of your success IS simple bases as they certainly haven't harmed your chances over the years - call it personal taste :)

But well done again, you must be really chuffed!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/wereweevil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:06 pm 

Luke well done... having seen first hand how much effort goes into making any Tau piece catch the eye... i fully appreciate and respect the fantastic "minamalistic" approach ( if I can call i that) to this wonderful piece... I love it .. well done on a second sword. By the way I have always liked your "clutter" free approach to basing... the figure then stands alone to be viewed and admired... :)

Gav :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:07 pm 

Thanks Marcus and congratulations on your win. I agree, the base is a bit dull. Complex and interesting bases are quite a challenge for me. I chose not to go freehand crazy (as I did last year) for 2 reasons. Firstly, I wanted to focus on and improve other aspects of my painting such as weathering and contrast. The second reason for the minimalistic freehand, particularly on the battlesuit, is that I didn't think that it would suit the Tau. The Eldar, on the otherhand, had a fair bit of freehand potential. I just didn't want to be known as a one trick pony.

And yes, I'm thrilled to have won the sword... even more thrilled than last year I think. I cant wait to see everyone else's entries.

Just saw your post, Gav. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:40 pm 

Well done on the double sword haul. While I haven't yet glimpsed any other entries it's easy why you've won.
It's a massive improvement on the standard suit and its taller nature combined with the pose make it look rather knightly.
More classic GW than the real thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:32 pm 

Hi Luke,

This figure is amazing, and congratulations on a well deserved win. Your paintwork is so beautifully clean, I would love to know how long it takes you to paint so perfectly.

BTW, by any chance was your inspiration Briareos from Appleseed? I see some similarities :D (one of my favourite movies!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:50 pm 

Congratulations Luke on another slayer sword.

The Tau is another great example of your signature flawless blending and the wear on the suit is brilliantly executed. Excellent job on the conversion work, I had to look a couple of times to see what was original and what was scratch built.

I personally like the wider leg stance on the larger base you did in the WIP, but understand that you had to go for the base the model came with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:26 am 

Congrats Luke. Well done.
A cracking mini.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:55 am 

Beautiful! Great conversion as well. Makes me want to start painting my Tau again!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:33 am 

hey Luke BIG CONGRATULATIONS on winning the sword again WOW!! Two years in a row haha...first time anyone's done that here in australia! Well done.

A lot of really impressive conversion work for this one...a big lot of effort to make all the changes so seamless and invisible. I don't know what the battelesutis look like really, so seeing this in the cabinet, I really had no idea that you had changed it so much. WHich is a great thing, because it means all the work you did is perfect - I couldn't even tell. Now that you have posted the comparison shot with the unmodified suit though, I can see that yours is a big improvement ;)

Really good to see you embrace the weathering on this guy - was it fun to do? I find weathering a lot of fun...and I reckon it adds a lot of character to this entry. Looks really cool! And I like the little red plates, stripes and marking etc....nice choice with the blue-purple colour for the metals also, works perfectly with the colour scheme.

Hang on, weisern is sitting next to me - he reckons there is no purple at all in the metals haha, and they are just black...but I was sure the metals looked purplish when I saw the figure at GD! So what's the answer - is there purple in it, or not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:43 am 

congrats on the sword it is a briliant job and well deserved. i too was completely unaware of the conversion work involved. i kind of agree with what olivia said regrding appleseed. now you're on a hattrick for slayer sword