Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Kelian Durak
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:06 pm 

Hi guys, here is the new one - Kelian Durak from Cadwallon. I used metallics rather than NMM :shock: because I used him to write an article about painting with metallics, which you can see here:

http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainters/viewtopic.php?t=878

Forgive me if I am slow with replies, because I am moving house on wednesday - very busy!!!!

What do you think? I hope you like it, and I hope the article is interesting! It was lots of fun to paint, quite fast too - probably 15 hours, which is light speed for me haha. I took inspiration for the base from a great base of a cadwallon militia guy by Remy (Darkeden). You can see it here: http://www.coolminiornot.com/160981

And here is a link to CMON if you want to vote: http://www.coolminiornot.com/177036

Last edited by automaton on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:09 pm 

Forget the metallics... That cloak is INCREDIBLE!!! :shock:

Thank you so much for the article Seb, am reading through it atm. I personally don't think I'll ever go through the process you do, as it's just too much for this impatient guy. lol

Thanks again for your effort with the article :)

*steals for mymodelcase*

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:30 pm 

Looks really nice. I love that cape and the bricks at the front. As usual, the metallics are awesomely done.
How do you get those transition of colours in your capes? Thats probably a stupid question, but just wondering, as something i would like to try soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:19 pm 

Seb, you know my dislike for Rackham stuff, but that being said, I do like the Cadwallon stuff because of its plain weirdness and odd characters, and it just so happens that I have this mini also. So all I really have to say is that I really like it. :D Now I feel inclined to paint my one.

I know that I could harp on all day about the great things about it, but really I know you would like some feedback on it, so I will try and give some honest thoughts about it. But 15 hours for you is like Superman on Crack, that is very speedy for you. :P

The first thing that I notice is the metals, they are great obviously..... and why wouldnt they be? but I think that I find a couple of points that could do with some darker parts and some lights. the only one that really stands out is the pointu bit on the end of the right toe, I think that it should be as light as the knees at least, because that is where the raw light is hitting the armour so in theory it should be quite bright. Also the little rivits bother me a bit, especially the ones in the inner thighs, they just seem quite bight for me, also the same with the ones his hands/wrists the ones on the facing the ground (i cant seem to find the right words to explain it...) seem to be quite bright. But really these are only the real minor quibles. And photos do weird things with metallics, so I should probably see it in real life before I pase a final judgement.

Ok, so I love the cape and your trademark colour transition, you enjoy doing on the Rackham robes. The little freehand on the bottom of the cape is also something I would expect from you, and nice to see it again. The rest of it is quite nice and i dont really have any problems with it. :wink:

The base.... I know the model you were inspired by, and I dont know if you saw it, but it was in one of those overcrowed cabinents at Ravage. I think your base works well, and the brickwork is cool. But I think you could add more contast on the bricks. Also I am a little intigued by the highlight colour on the bricks, it seems almost blue, and for me... doesnt really work with it. Of course colour wise, it is harmonious, but I think a more netural colour would suit the earthy base better.

Also good luck with the moving.... and you are very lucky to even get this done! I would have been beaten very servely* if I was painting while the rest of the family was packing.... :shock:

*Not literaly beaten, just a figure of speech... please dont send Child Services...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:09 am 

Great mini as usual! I would be interested in the process of getting that sort of colour transition on the cloak. Perhaps when you've settled into the new place!

Except for that poor little pewter bastard who keeps getting dunked in the acetone. Probably sucks to be him."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:07 pm 

thanks guys, I'm very happy that you like it! It was a good fun one to paint.

kyle - for the metals, well yeah I am going to partly blame it on the photo this time....the toe is exactly the same colour as the knee highlight, it's just the angle of reflection and real-life lighting that is making it seem different.

As for the base - yes I really struggle getting good contrast on bases for some reason...I really do have difficulty, I run into problems where I am not sure what to do! haha...I think the brickwork could do with being a little more red, maybe I will add a few more glazes. ALthough the highlight colour isn't blue - it is a neutral grey like fortress grey, even with a little beige-type colour added on most parts. So seeing it as blue I think is jsut the illusion created by the lights being against the warm colour of the bricks, and maybe also the red-to-blue nature of the rest of the mini fooling your eyes into thinking that the grey on the bricks is blue as well hehe. Well I dunno - but that sounds like a good explanation anyway! haha :D

And the colours on the cloak, for those who asked - there is no real 'trick', it is painted as normal, the only difference is that instead of using a single base colour, I mixed up 3 or 4 colours ranging from red to blue on the palette, and blurred the edges between them when applying the paint, so there was already a base of the correct colour transition on the surface. SO then each time I wanted to shade or highlight, I would mix up 3 or 4 different shades of the colour, then jsut go about things as normal. It's quite easy to make a smooth colour transition this way...you can overlap glazes of the different colours as you go, and it works out without much trouble - it's certainly a lot easier than jsut trying to make a direct blend between the colour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:45 am 

The colors are so good on this one.. i think its the best color combination from all of your minis, the blue-red with violent hint is reflecting the virtues of a knight ;) Really good, i think that freehand wasn't needed though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:30 am 

Nice miniature Sebastian and thanks for writing the article, it always great to see a master at work. :D

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Jamie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:51 am 

Thanks jamie and szymon :D

Ok everyone, I am moving house today and I don't think I will have an Internet connection at the new place for a while - so please excuse me if I don't immediately reply to any messages online over the next little while!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:12 pm 

automaton wrote:
Ok everyone, I am moving house today and I don't think I will have an Internet connection at the new place for a while - so please excuse me if I don't immediately reply to any messages online over the next little while!

good luck with the move! :)

Post subject: Kelian
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:00 am 

Really nice work seb and its great to see you painting some Rack minis again.The metallics really work well for this mini even if im not so keen painting with them but its done this guy justice.

The free hand on the cloak is just enough as not to make it over the top and suits it well.I wish i had done a similar design on my durak now :)

And the base is awesome mate but i would not expect anything less.

I will hopefully post some of my latest works over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:56 am 

Excellent tutorial Seb. I'm putting it to use right now!

a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:12 pm 

Got a good look at this the other day. The metals are unreal in real life, they look like, well... real metals. Awesome stuff.

Automaton: those painted pics on the (Heroquest) box were awesome! I looked at them as virtually an unattainable goal in painting, haha...