Brian Spencer, former Keeper of the Museum of London, was a major scholar of medieval popular culture. He almost single-handedly established the study of pilgrim souvenirs and secular badges. He defined what these objects were and ascertained their function, manufacture, style, and iconography with a careful use of primary documents and intricate stylistic analysis. He identified every major souvenir and badge discovered in Great Britain during the last few decades. He also made prominent contributions to the field of seal matrices, gaming pieces, and horse paraphernalia. What bound all of these interests together was his understanding that the study of these artefacts could shed light on the beliefs and practices of a large number of people. This is reflected in the frequency with which his work is cited. This volume is a collection of essays written by those who worked with Brian directly and those with whom he corresponded.
Table of Contents
A Select List of Brian Spencer's Publications Geoff Egan
- 1. Brian Spencer: Born April 18th 1928. Died April 3rd 2003 Richard Spencer
- 2. The Expert and the Collector Brian North Lee
- 3. Brian Watson Spencer's Good Work H. J. E. van Beuningen
- 4. The Depiction of St James Compostela on Seals John Cherry
- 5. Pilgrim Ampullae of York Minster and the Healing Oil of the Shrine of St William Katja Boertjes
- 6. A Pilgrims' Badge and Ampullae Possibly from the Chartreuse of Champmol Jos Koldweij
- 7. Crossing the Pilgrimage Landscape: Some Thoughts on a Holy Rood Reliquary from the River Tay at Carpow, Perth and Kinross, Scotland Mark A. Hall
- 8. Amulets: Prescriptions and Surviving Objects from Late Medieval England Peter Murray Jones
- 9. Imaging Sant Magi: Souvenirs of a Catalan Pilgrimage Graham Jones
- 10. The Portable Pilgrim: Possible Links Between the Iconography of Early Romanesque Tablesmen and Church Sculptures, and a Review of Some Elements of the Gloucester Tables Set Malcolm J. Watkins
- 11. The Cat in the Badge - the Iconography of Late Medieval Bicaudal and Other Felines... Malcolm Jones
- 12. Pilgrimage and Protest: Badges at the British Museum Relating to Thomas of Lancaster and Isabella, Queen of Edward II James Robinson
- 13. King and Cleric: Richard II and the Iconography of St Thomas Becket and St Edward the Confessor at Our Lady of Undercroft, Canterbury Cathedral Sarah Blick
- Hardcover: 208 pages.
- Language: English
- Illustrations: 120 Illustrations.
- ISBN-13: 9781842172353
- Product Dimensions: 24.8 x 17.7 x 2.0 cm